Review by Shadow Caster

Reviewed: 03/14/02 | Updated: 03/14/02

The game shook my love for Street FIghter, briefly

Ok first thing's first, I do not repeat DO NOT rate games by current standards unless the game is a current game. That's right, unless it was made recently it is getting judged by the standards of it's time, ok? Now on with the review.

Sound/Music: 3/10
Fun Factor: 3/10
Challenge: 2/10
Length: 3/10
Replayability: 4/10

OK first off I am NOT a Street Fighter Hater. Quite the contrary. I love the game, I play it whenever I can in fact. I got this game for christmas and was expecting much better results.

I was UTTERLY disappointed with the graphics. Most of the time I could swear I was playing a crappy hand-held instead of GameBoy, sometimes even Game & Watch. There is VERY little animation. When you jump you are supposed to be able to see your character move into the air and out, instead its just two motions: they are on the ground, then at the top of their jump then back on the ground. I do have to give some credit for at least keeping a different looking fireball with Ryu and Ken. Although the sprites themselves are fairly good the animation (or lack thereof)is too horrible.

I love Street Fighter that's why this game gets this high of a score. It's the same gameplay that I love only bad animation (grrr). I do like the fact that all character (the whole 9 of them) have all their moves. But the jumpiness and crap graphics otherwise turn me away. I look at two extremes. There is Battle Arena Toshinden which is great in gameplay, graphics and has lots of charcters and levels, then there is this which has 9 characters and horrible everything else.

Sound/Music: 3/10
They did manage to keep the music from each level but it was very badly done, and the sounds themselves were bad too. No voices no screams of defeat. Sometimes there would be no sound at all.

Fun Factor: 3/10
With a limited amount of characters (not even all 4 bosses) and bad graphics & sound this game isn't very much fun to play. It was OK in it's time though . . . I guess. At least it was better than Mortal Kombat ::shudder::

Challenge: 2/10
Now this game didn't get a 2/10 for being too easy, its odd. At difficulty 1 the opponents don't even seem to realize they can use special attack. . . or sometimes even move at all. but you go to difficulty 2 and suddenly it's like going from difficulty 0 (talking SNES here) to 5 (once again SNES) and it only goes higher up to the game's limit of 5. This odd diffculty system turns me off.

OK here is something they can completely get away with. Street Fighter very few times had ANYTHING you could call a story. Wandering warriors, revenge, each character has a reason to fight but it's not important to the game in any way shape or form.

Length: 3/10
Ugh. There is a whole 9 characters you fight and the matches tend to be too short for my liking (though I never did get to paly another human on this game, ah well). If there were more characters maybe all of the bosses, it would be a different story, but not by much.

Replayability: 4/10
Well. . . I GUESS you could go and paly as each character (although there are no endings for anyone, thus no real point to playing as them all) and there is Survival mode which COULD be fun (stupid graphics) but that's all it really has, oh and 5 levels of difficulty. . . woohoo.

Buy? Rent? Steal?
Well it's not really worth the money to buy it. And if you get caught stealing that's also bad and not worth the game. So I'd say your best bet is to merely go to a friend who was unfortunate enough to get the game and play it there. Maybe even borrow it if you want. I'm sometimes sad I got this game for Christmas.

Questions? Comments? You still wanna drag me into the street, beat me into a bloody pulp and blame it on the blind kid?! Well I'm all for that, tell me!

Rating:   1.5 - Bad