Review by FrankClement

Reviewed: 01/26/09

The best fighting game for the Game Boy!

This version of Capcom’s long running franchise is the only iteration to appear as a standalone on a portable console system. Various emulations, most notably on the PSP Capcom Classics Collection Remixed have appeared, but failed to replicate the success of the arcade version with cumbersome loading times. Street Fighter 2 is by no means the arcade version, but stands on its own two feet with hidden secrets (yes there are endings, but I won’t tell you how unless you email me!) and core Street Fighter 2 game play.

The detail is sparse in the background, but is in fact highly articulate with characters movement, stances, and moves. You can see Zangief’s facial expression in his winning pose and note the flaming Hadoken and Shoryuken from Ryu and Ken respectively. The controls are typical Street Fighter 2, but simplified. Most people who played King of Fighters 95 will notice the button input to tap for light punches and kicks and rapidly for heavy punches and kicks. The sound rattles the tinny Game Boy processor and actually compliments the game well, though, and Game Boy purist will note muting the sound will increase the life of the batteries.

There are a certain number of things which really drawn me in to this game. Secret endings, a challenging survival mode, a character montage, and character glitches wowed me, but you only can find them if you put enough effort into mastering the game. For me there aren’t any drawbacks because it is Street Fighter, but to the casual gamer, there are a couple. Maybe the black and white issue where we have so many colorful (and up to date) games may come in, but there’s issues with character movement. When both characters are progressing across the screen at the same time, the game has a shaky effect that may disorient the gamer. When this appears, I stop the character movement and utilize a special move. The AI is not that competent in the Arcade mode, yet very ruthless and aggressive in the Survival mode.

To conclude, I still own my copy of Street Fighter 2 and Game Boy, and I still play it almost every day. If you are a Street Fighter fan, or some retro nut like me that can’t get enough of playing old school games, this game is for you. This is my favorite game of all time, and even though I have Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Capcom vs. SNK 2 (you get the idea about what fan I am lol) I always make time to play this classic. This is not the arcade version, but a standalone version of a classic game.

Product Release: Street Fighter II (US, 09/30/95)