Review by Lionheart Wave

Reviewed: 12/30/04

Pretty small club

Wow. I never thought I would find myself reviewing a sports game! Personally, they just aren’t my type of games. So why am I writing this review you ask? Because before I start writing multiple reviews for all my systems I want to write at least one for each. I don’t know why, I just do. It was either this or Super Mario Land. Super Mario had a lot of reviews and I couldn’t think of that many words to write about a game like that, so I was left with this game. Luckily, this game wasn’t that bad.

Game play

You know as I mentioned above, I am not a fan of the sports genre. Sure, I’ll play a bit of tennis or soccer, but you’d never find me playing a game like Madden or ESPN. I’m more of the adventure type, but this game doesn’t count because it’s not a real sports game. It’s basely just a football practice session. It is made up of four events:

Accuracy Competition: In this event, you aim at the targets that pass buy, using a golf game swing like meter to determine your accuracy and power. This on is my favorite.

Speed and Mobility: This one stands out the most from the others. The game requires you run through obstacles across the field. Actually, it’s very short. You run under a bar, run above a cone, past a plastic guy, jump over a string, and throw the football at the target. That’s all there is. It only takes about 11 seconds to finish.

Distance Competition: Personally, I don’t really like this one that much. All your doing is pressing A and B at the same time to charge up your shot and throw it as far as you can.

Read and Recognition: This on is very similar to the first one (Accuracy Competition), only this time, four targets appear instead of one. Two of the targets that pass will flash. You must hit the flashing targets. If you hit the targets that aren’t flashing you will be penalized.

None of those events will even last 5 minutes, so you can expect the game to end pretty quickly. Oh, and you can pick from 13 professional football players, but they all play and look the exact same way. Overall, here is how much fun I had with each event on a scale of 1 to 10.

Accuracy Competition: 8/10
Speed and Mobility: 6/10
Distance Competition: 4/10
Read and Recognition: 7/10

Graphics

When I compare this to other Game boy games I have to say that I’m…impressed. The players and stadiums all look very impressive. The announcer almost looks like he was designed from live video, and I’m not sure if this was impressive for a game boy or not but they actually have more than just the colors black, white, and gray (they also have green, blue, and yellow). The amount of detail is decent as well. They have stuff like the audience, field goal post, and even product ads. Overall, the graphics are impressive for a game boy color.

Sound/Music

Not bad for a Game Boy. Most of the tunes are fast placed techno tunes. While they may seem a bit out of place for a football game, they are catchy. They also have the standard sound effects such as a football hitting the target. Come to think of it, that and jumping over a rope are probably the only two sound effects in the whole game. Yeah…that’s about it.

Story

Well, if you don’t count some football players entered this place called the collage club and started competing in some athletic activities for big cash as a story, then there is no story. Personally I don’t count that as one, so overall, there is none.

Overall: N/A

Game Length, Replay Value, and Difficulty

Oh Boy, here is where the game takes big hits. I hate short games, and oh my friend, is this game short. Like I said above you will probably beat tournament mode in about 5 minutes, maybe even less. The only other mode is single event which lets you pick which event you want to play. Surprisingly the replay value in this game is O.K. This isn’t the type of games that you will be playing for long gaming sessions, but it’s good if you have a quick 5 minutes (or even one) to spare. The difficulty though is way too high. Even on easy difficulty the computer still almost always wins. During Speed and Mobility I did everything perfect? I didn’t get any fouls and got 2 bulls eyes and the computer still won. Some would call this challenging. To me it’s just cheap. That’s why I don’t even focus on the computers score and just focus on having fun myself. Overall, the game takes some big hits in this area.

Game Length: Short beyond belief!
Replay Value: Low to Medium
Difficulty: Hard

Overall

This is not a bad game, but it’s not that good of a game either. I think it’s worth the money if you can find it for a buck or two, but don’t expect it to keep you busy for long.

Final Score: 5/10