Review by eric1386

Reviewed: 07/21/04

Daedalian Opus: Enjoyable or Cause of Insanity?

First off, I would like to thank you, the reader, for showing an interest in this game by checking out this review. With that out of the way, it's on to the actual review.

Background:
Daedalian Opus is a little-known puzzle game for the Game Boy. It was developed by Vic Tokai and published by SunSoft in 1990. The object of the game is to fill a space in with shapes made up of five perfect squares, otherwise known as pentominoes. Sound simple? Wrong, it isn't. The designs keep getting more complex as you go along, and don't be surprised if you spend an hour on one level.

Since it is not well known, you will probably have a hard time finding this game. Most likely, you'll find it at a garage sale or at a game store that sells used games. This game is not for everyone, but what game is? None. Aside from it being obscure, the game is very enjoyable and highly addictive.

Game Play: 9/10
There really isn't much to the game play. The controls are simplistic and are easy to pick up on without much thought. In fact, the game provides a controls and help screen from the main menu. All you have to do to see it is press the (A) button. In order to get past the menu itself, you just press the [Start] button.

Now for the in-game controls. During levels, your cursor is a pointing hand. The pieces are outside of the space you need to fill, and you need to orient some or all of them to fill the space entirely. Once you have filled the space up, you can move on to the next level, or you can remain on that level if you want to jot down the solution. But there's a twist. You start out with three pieces, and then you work your way up to 12.

Two points added for simple controls.

Replay Value: 10/10
This is where the game shines. This game will have you hooked for quite some time. I rated it so high because you can beat one level, and play it again if you want, and solve it differently than the last time. There are a lot of ways to solve the levels, so just because you know one way to solve it, doesn't mean that's the only way. The result is a game that will always feel "fresh."

You may find yourself become obsessed with it, however. You may try to discover another pentomino other than the 12. (There are no other ones, by the way.) Or perhaps something else. That's where the addictiveness can be dangerous.

What do you expect? 128-bit graphics? You don't get very much in terms of graphics, but things are drawn well enough for you to recognize them.

One point added for object recognition.

The music is very catchy, so you may find yourself humming a tune from the game or have it stuck in your head, but it's not that bad. If the music gets irritating, just turn the volume down, simple as that. Although, if it's stuck in your head, I don't know how you can turn your head's volume down...

One point added for some reason I can't remember, because I have one of the tunes stuck in my head. Probably for catchiness...

Even with its shortfalls in graphics and sound, this game still receives a ten because once you pick it up, you won't be putting it down for a long time.

Thank you for reading my review. I hope it was helpful.