Review by RyuGB

Reviewed: 07/26/02 | Updated: 07/26/02

Simple gameplay... from simple times

Alleyway was released way back in 1989 the first year of the GameBoy's life. From what I've gathered the game was pretty successful then, but times have changed so can it hold up?

Gameplay: To be fair I'll lay out the fact that I'm going to compare this title is going to Atari games on more then one occasion, but as they say you reap what you sow. Much like all the old Atari games this game is very repetitive.
You are in control of a ship with the simple goal of breaking all the block at the top of your screen, you accomplish this by bouncing a metal ball of you're craft.
The difficulty comes into play since you lose a ball and you lose a try; and you only have a couple tries. One strike against this title is no kind of save is present. A game like this just begs for a interrupt save, so you can pick up where you left off later. A plus that made the game slightly more enjoyable was the fact that this game can be easily obtained for $10 or less. Not bad!

Graphics: Not only are the graphics subpar, they seem to revel in it. Simple shapes pretty much constitute the graphics, again much like an old Atari game. A little better then the bottom of the barrel Pong, and by a little I mean just that. Don't buy this baby for her looks thats for sure.

Sound: All you'll ever hear in the game is the sound of the ball hitting blocks. Otherwise his game is devoid of any kind of audio. One of those cheap Tiger handhelds could probably do just as well.

Control: You only need two buttons. (ugh Atari flashbacks) These are the left and right buttons for moving your ship across the bottom of the screen. Even the videogame illiterate should be able to handle this.

One thing I really want to know is what does Mario have to do with this game? After all you never seem him during the course of gameplay. Just seems like a blatant way of using Mario to sell it to me. In the end Alleyway is decent, but please don't buy unless it's cheap. The semi addictive quality in improving your score, coupled with a bug free design is why I'm giving the game a six. However, in no shape or form is it considered a great game.

Score:6/10