Review by Doodleheimer

Reviewed: 06/03/01 | Updated: 05/20/02

Somehow, I have a version with the Chinese cartridge ID

Game Play-7/10

What makes me mad is that they took the crappy bosses from the NES versions of Mega Man 2 and 3. You have Crash Man, Metal Man, Wood Man, and Air Man from Mega Man 2 on the NES, and you have Hard Man, Needle Man, Magnet Man, and Top Man from the NES version of Mega Man 3. And the saddest thing is that you couldn't visit the departed four bosses from the NES version of Mega Man 2 in the Game Boy version of Mega Man I. For some weird reason, the second quad of boss don't have a standard Mega Man stage select screen. Instead, you have four teleporters at the four corners of the screen to hop into. The rest of the game is for the most part, the same. The majority of the level parts are taken from the NES versions of Mega Man 2 and 3, with some minor adjustments. For instance, you can slide in this game, and Rush is available, unlike in the NES version of Mega Man 2. And the stages have minor tweakings also. For instance, there is a part in Wood Man's stage where there is water and you need to use Rush Marine. And in Wood Man's stage, there is only one fire-breathing cat, unlike three in the NES version of Mega Man 2. You get the same exact weapons as in the NES versions, and E-Tanks are an abundance. The game is very easy also. The bosses pretty much have the same moves. (Metal Man is exactly the same)

Graphics-8/10

The graphics are very good, considering they were on the Game Boy. The stages look a lot like the NES versions. Some of the enemies are noticeably smaller, and Mega Man is the same size. Put them together, and the enemies are harder to shoot. The game's graphics are basically the NES's version's graphics, except in black & white, or four randomly selected colors. (The game doesn't do that, the Game Boy Color and the Game Boy Advance do that) The bosses are pretty much the same. Rush looks the same. The stages do look a bit darker although.

Music-4/10

Why couldn't Capcom take the NES version's music and do the best they could on the Game Boy like with the other three Game Boy Mega Mans. (I know that there are five Game Boy Mega Mans, but Mega Man V was completely original) The music is pretty bad. Basically, I found most of the music in this game the same. The sound effects are a lot like the first Game Boy Mega Man's sound effects.

Overall-6/10 (Not An Average)

If you HAVE to have another Game Boy Mega Man (Mega Man Xtreme 2 and Mega Man Battle Network are on their way) , then go ahead and buy it. It is fairly easy to find, being a Player's Choice title. I have a version in English, but the Cartridge ID ends in CHN, not USA. Keep in mind, the music is awful.