Review by Wariofanatic

Reviewed: 10/01/12

A game that is as fun as it is long~

A few notes – I’ve always been a big fan of the Dragon Quest series and a lot the games developed by Square Enix. I’ve also always enjoyed playing a good JRPG, which is why I’m writing this review. I hope after reading this you’ll consider getting this game and other games like it and hopefully you’ll enjoy them as much as I do.

Introduction – Dragon Quest is a very popular JRPG series, made by Square Enix, and this particular game is the sixth one of the series. It was originally made for Japan only, but it is now available in North America and if you have the opportunity to play it now that it is available I would highly recommend you do so, especially if you are a big fan of JRPG’s or the Dragon Quest series itself.

Story – If this is not your first Dragon Quest then you’re probably expecting the same plot that almost every other one of the games has: save the princess and/or defeat the big, bad, all-powerful evil king. Well, this one is a bit different.

It starts out with you – the hero - and your two companions, Millie and Carver. You are on you way to defeat the dreaded fiend, Murdaw, but unfortunately for you he utterly destroys you. Now you wake up again, this time in your bedroom with no explanation as to how you got there. This is where the real adventure starts and after this you should now be prepared to expect the unexpected.

The reason why you should be ready for everything is that you will literally be doing everything. This game is made up with many different side-quests in which you’ll be helping the people around the world. So now you have the option of going around the world exploring every nook and cranny or if you want you can speed through the game and save the day in record timing.

I personally thought this was a great way to make the game since it caters to multiple types of people. Whether you’re an explorer, do gooder, or just want to finish the game in with having to do as little as possible you’re sure to love this game.

Sound – As always the soundtrack for this game is brilliant. I’ve always been a big fan of the way they arrange the music in the Dragon Quest series and this one is no exception. They also added a very nice touch on the in game sound effects. I was actually quite impressed with the combat sound effects, and didn’t mind the typical sounds you hear when scrolling through the menu and your items.

Graphics – Honestly, I’ve never really been one to pick and choose my games depending on how good they look. Otherwise I probably wouldn’t have bought a Nintendo Wii over a PS360.

Anyways, with that out of the way, I must say that they did a great job with it. The maps are nicely done, the characters look good, and the combat is quite exceptional. It is especially good looking when I compared it to other DS games released within the same time period. I honestly was impressed.

Game Play – For most game you need a good mix of game play and story, but it’s a bit different with JRPG’s. While I usually prefer a game to be a perfect 50-50 mix between the two I actually prefer my JRPG’s to lean a bit more towards the combat side and Dragon Quest does this.

While Compared with other Dragon Quest games the combat is basically the same thing as any other JRPG, which isn’t a bad thing, with random enemies attacking you at random times. This game is heavily based on “turn-based combat” so if it’s not your thing then this is probably the wrong game for you.

One of the biggest things that make’s the game play, and altogether the actual character system in the game so unique is a place called Alltrades Abby. It’s an area that you will find at a certain point in the game, and within it you will be able to change your character classes. In other words, you have the choice on whether you want your character to be a warrior, mage, etc.

A final note would be that this game can be quite difficult at times, but at others it can be very easy. However, the game does a good job in balancing this out, especially since it starts out easy and eventually gets harder, and harder. At some points you may need to grind your characters till they are a bit higher in lever, but all together you shouldn’t have much trouble as long as you choose the right strategies.

Play Time – One thing that is so very common in this series is that these games are extremely long. It took me more than thirty-five hours to beat it and I’m far from completing all the side-quests.

Another thing regarding the play-time is that unlike most games the tend to drag out when taking this long to complete this game stays consistently fun. While there were some minor parts where I was forced to grind it was never for an endless amount of time that made me want to just quit. The pacing for the game is very nicely done, which for me at least never left a dull moment.

Replay ability – Like with most JRPG’s I’d only play them once. It may just be the way I am, but this honestly feels like a one time play through. However, I know there are some people who really love to replay a good game with a good story, no matter how long it is, so if you are one of them then I’m sure you’ll find this worthy of a replay.

Rating – I will now post my score and how I came up with it. I would give the story 8/10 points. The sound/music and Graphics a 9/10 and 7/10. I have to give the game play a perfect 10/10 and the playtime would be another 10/10. I am not going to give the replay ability a score since I honestly don’t know what to give it. So the grand total would be an 8.8, but I’m going to round that up and give it a 9/10.

Final Note – All together this is very good and a very long game. So if you: have the opportunity to buy the game, have the time to play it, and are a big fan of JRPG’s and/or the Dragon Quest series in general this is the perfect game for you.
Also, I would like to thank Moranite, who is another poster on GFAQs, fan of the series, and who also wrote a review on the game for the site. To help start off my review and give myself an idea as to what I should write about I read through his review first, and then used the same outline that he did. Now, I am not saying that I copied his review or anything, just that by reading his first I was able to get a better understanding as to what I should do and how I should write it.

Product Release: Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation (US, 02/14/11)