Review by Moranite

Reviewed: 09/06/11

Another great Dragon Quest game. This time, one that never left Japan. Until now.

DISCLAIMER
This review reflects my opinion and mine ONLY. Its purpose is to possibly recommend this game to others(or the opposite). Any offense caused by this is unintentional.

Introduction
Dragon Quest is a popular JRPG series made by Square Enix. This is the sixth entry in this series. This is a DS remake of the Japan-only Super Famicom Dragon Quest VI. Now that it's been out in North America for a while, I've beaten it and I can say that we've missed out on a good game back then, but here it is now, and I think it holds up.

Story 9/10
Dragon Quest game usually have pretty simple stories, right? Something along the lines of "save the princess" or "defeat the demon king"? I was pleasantly surprised to see that this story is a little different.

At the start, you wake up in a forest with your companions, Millie and Carver, you are on your way to take out the Dread Fiend Murdaw, but when you reach him, he makes short work of you all. Then... you wake up in your room! What happened? Was it a dream? I won't spoil anything, because there's some interesting, surprising, and truly weird stuff going on. I found it to be a great tale with a good deal of charm.

I will bring up one thing--you will spend a good deal AWAY from the big main plot. Instead of going right for the Big Bad, solving all the mysteries, you'll instead be going all around and solving people's problems, or other things as an excuse to get you to see the whole world. I didn't mind this, in fact, sometimes I wanted the plot to stay away so I could adventure a bit more without thinking about the big stuff, but it will piss some people off. Otherwise, I found the plot to be nearly perfect.

Graphics 10/10
I'm not one to care too badly for graphics, but I say they get the job done very well. You have simple 2D sprites, and nice 3D backgrounds. In combat, you face well animated, detailed monsters designed by Akira Toriyama. I don't have much to say about graphics, but I will say they're good.

Sound 10/10
The music has been done by Koichi Sugiyama, who composes other Dragon Quest games. Once again, we have another excellent soundtrack that helps immerse you in the game, and is just nice to listen to. You have other simple JRPG sounds like those heard in menu and battle. I have no problem with sound.

Gameplay 9/10
The most important part to any game(with some exceptions), gameplay has to be top notch, lest the player be disappointed. This game isn't for everyone, but anyone interested in older JRPGs will find something they like.

Field gameplay doesn't do anything particularly new, but I found traveling around to be quite a treat, as the world is big and pretty interesting. Battles occur randomly, and it's about as simple and traditional as turn-based combat can get. From the start of combat, your characters choose their moves, then combat plays out going by what you chose, depending on your speed, and you go back to choosing. This is called a "round". If what I just wrote sounds weird, or you don't have any interest in turn based combat, you will hate this game. If you're still interested this game will have an interesting treat for you once you make it far enough into the game.

I'm going to describe the Vocation system. To avoid pointless spoilers, a little into the game you can visit a place where you can "change your path in life". It's kind of like the Class system in various other JRPGs like Final Fantasy. Once you master a Vocation, you can take up new ones and have your combatants grow into amazing warriors. I thought it was cool, and one of the most interesting things in the game.

This isn't an easy game, but it's not exactly hard either. If you're having trouble, take some time to learn some new skills, try different Vocations... some items in the Casino can be of help. It's difficulty is perfect, starting off easy enough, and becoming appropriately challenging by the end.

Play Time
Dragon Quest games are usually very long, and this game is no exception. It took me over 50 hours to beat, although I spent a good deal of time wandering, trying to figure out where to go or what to do. Sometimes the game can feel a bit too long, but it's not a big problem.

Replayability
I have only beaten Dragon Quest VI once. I do know there are some secrets to find, so there is some reason to go back to this.

Final Recommendation
If what I described in this review sounds good to you, go for it. It shouldn't be too hard to find. I got mine at Wal-Mart, after all. If not, them something else would be more appropriate. If you've played and liked other Dragon Quests, there is no question. You probably have it already, but if you don't, buy it. It's a great game that most JRPGers should at least try.

Product Release: Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation (US, 02/14/11)