What is the best way to attack a city especially a capital ?

1. How should you decide on what army you should use to conquer a city in different situations? Like in my case, there are archers and horses defending the city, what should i use to attack and easily conquer the city?
    Thanks

User Info: Shakirmoledina

Shakirmoledina - 11 years ago

1. Upgrades are great. Specifically Infiltration. Not only the 100% bonus to attacking cities, but who doesn't want a Ninja Cannon Army?

Also, Great Generals are great if you can get them. Even if it's an defensive unit that gains the general, the bonus goes to all units in the same square as the unit.

Ships do help some.

Spies can destroy fortifications.

If all else fails you can:
    1) Split your forces and use another half to capture other cities, and possibly draw defenders away, or at least weaken their position and civilization.
    2) Just use several (or in most cases, many) slightly weaker units to make up for the defense value you can't match.

User Info: chess19

chess19 - 11 years ago 2   0

Answers

1. Or best yet, combine the answers above me, and make your attacking armies elite, by taking them into easy battles, gaining experience. With every equal power battle victory and every third or so battle victory (provided normal game rules, some scenarios offer elite benefits sooner), you gain a random set of two permanent military bonuses which can boost your army's effectiveness in battle. Some offer movement, +50% or +100% bonuses to attack or defense in certain situations, and other bonuses. With more of these military bonuses on an elite attacking army unit, such as a catapult or a cannon (or another high offensive value for it's appropriate era), opposing units will suffer. And from time to time whilst in defense, you might obtain a great general, which adds yet another bonus, but to both attack and defense in any situation. Sadly, this too is random.

User Info: cylenalag

cylenalag - 11 years ago 1   0
  2. If you are able to, wait until a technology jump, like when you first get tanks, or knights, and then attack quickly before opposing civilizations research the "response" to your new attack. Also, you can sometimes use ships to aid you (if you have a ship adjacent to a tile that you are attacking, the round starts with your ship firing and possibly damaging the opposing unit). Consider using spies to destroy city defense bonuses as well.

User Info: PaperSpock

PaperSpock - 11 years ago 1   1
  3. For beginners, you should build barracks. You should then build catapults in the city where you have barracks in to make Veteran Catapults. Form them into armies and combine that with PaperSpock's plan on using spies.

User Info: UnforgivenSins7

UnforgivenSins7 - 11 years ago 1   1
  4. What I generally do is wait for war until I get tanks. Then I charge in with tank and cannon armies and take them down. Skip catapults to get tanks, it is worth it. I haven't used a catapult since my first few games.

Also, make sure you utilize geographical advantages. If there is a hill, make sure you get on it before you declare war on the defending civ.

User Info: topgun121

topgun121 - 11 years ago 1   1
  5. A good way is to first keep an eye on the, from both sides. One way to do this is to get some defensive units surrounding them, such as the archer. Then, build either some knights, catapults, or cannons in a large number, like two or three knight armies, three normal SEPARATE catapults, and attack. The reason for separate catapults is that one on its own will wipe out archers. An army is just overkill. Then, when you get down to warriors, hit it with all you have. Warriors are a low defensive unit.

Hope this helps, I find this works best for me.

User Info: Moppy64

Moppy64 - 10 years ago 0   0
  6. I usually defend my cities until I get rifle men. Then I attack some capitals while researching to get cannons and tanks. Rifle men, knights, tanks and other advanced units can easily defeat archers.

User Info: shinydarkrai98

shinydarkrai98 - 10 years ago 0   1