Review by irrewonderful

Reviewed: 07/16/13

Not too bad

On September 30, 2008, an RPG title was released for the Sonic Series, called Sonic Chronicles the Dark Brotherhood. This game has been like by some and hated by others. It was really the first actual RPG title with turn-based battles in the Sonic Series. Did it turn out well. This review will tell you if I think so.

The game is an RPG style, where you must move your characters across areas with enemies, whom you must fight in a turn-based battle when you touch them. I think this style of gameplay can be fun when done well. I find that using strategy in the battles is fun, and the battles are challenging enough to make you think before you act. You will do things like using basic and special attacks, and you will have to heal at times as well. You will also have many team members who will do different actions whenever you use them. Some are stronger, and some can heal better. There are also some optional party members that you will find along the way. If you know what to do after unlocking all of the characters though, having come up with a strategy to use for every fight, using it can make the fights very easy later on, which isn't good for a challenge.

There are multiple side missions to do as well for points as well as items. The items can help you in battle, and the points are for upgrading your character to make them stronger and their moves more powerful. You can also get these points in battles. I like this system, although you will have to fight a lot of enemies to upgrade your character, which can get a little repetitive. The side missions are not always that fun though, as the tasks you complete are usually not fun and seem to not have a point to them. A few of them are fun but most are not.

The story for this game is that a new group of enemies called the Marauders have come and are causing trouble. They have kidnapped Knuckles and are stealing Chaos Emeralds. It is up to Sonic and friends to band together and fight these newcomers. I love the story, as it is one of the most in-depth plots of any Sonic game. You will learn so much more of the story as the game is played through. One bad thing about this game is the soundtrack, though. It is likely the worst soundtrack of any Sonic game ever. It does have remixes of songs from older games, though they sound terrible.

Overall, this is a fair game in the series. I like a lot of it, though it can get repetitive and is a bit too long. I rate this game a 6/10.

Product Release: Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (US, 09/30/08)