Review by panargirou

Reviewed: 08/09/10

A great RPG for Sonic fans!

In Sonic Chronicles, you're able to travel through known zones as well as new locations. There are a variety of characters that you can control. I won't spoil the game here by listing the characters, but they're who you would initially expect with a few additions. Some characters are optional, but they're pretty hard to miss honestly. The dialogue is funny and smarter than other Sonic games. It's clear that BioWare has done their homework and pulled from the cartoon and comics.

As you run around the map, enemies will be visible patrolling as well. When you touch an enemy, you move to the combat mode. Combat is menu driven with options for attacking, using POW (special moves), using items, defending, and fleeing. POW moves use stylus inputs similar to the gameplay of Elite Beat Agents; to correctly execute the POW move you must tap circles and drag circles at the right time. Out of the eleven possible characters, you use four at a time. Characters have different roles both in and out of combat. Sonic Chronicles is one of the few games in which I liked using status-altering characters. Each character also has moves usable in the main overworld such as flying and smashing objects. Use of these abilities is sometimes required to move about the level. Other times, they're only needed if you want to collect everything that there is to find. Sometimes you'll have to change who's on your team to be able to proceed.

I absolutely fell in love with the graphics of the overworld. It's quite beautiful and has a hand-drawn look to it. The first zone, Green Hill Zone, is the perfect example; it's stunning! The music is decent but gets reused throughout the game. It would have been nice to have more variety. Cutscenes are shown through animated comics. This is an interested method of conveying the story that's cute and a bit different from what's normally seen. I really liked it.

As I said previously, the dialogue was well written and enjoyable. You're given dialogue choices, but they don't have much of an impact. The two optional characters are hard to miss. In fact, there's nothing too far out of the way. It's quite easy to find everything. There's nothing really wrong with this, but RPG fans who want to explore and find secrets are going to be disappointed. However, Sonic Chronicles seems to be made for younger audiences to be able to enjoy everything as well. The difficulty does spike in the second half of the game until you figure out which POW moves to be using and which support characters to use. (Hint: Use POW moves and support characters!) After this is figured out, the game's difficulty returns to normal. The story is very good. It adds a lot to the Sonic universe and fills in a fascinating and exciting puzzle piece.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood is a great game for Sonic fans. It does a wonderful job of shaping the Sonic world into an RPG and then adding to it. Although I don't like being able to miss things, it would have been nice if there was some more secret characters or items. I really liked where the lore went. I won't get into specifics, but as someone who really likes Sonic the Hedgehog, it was very interesting to see things explained even if some of the points were lifted from the comic series. Sadly, the ending seemed a little rushed to me. The story concluded well, but I would have liked some of the final scenes to be drawn out and more climatic and dramatic. The game ended while I was still feeling pumped for more! The major plot element is finished at the end of the game, but Sonic Chronicles leaves a few questions open. Hopefully a sequel comes out, because I'd love to play it! While Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood isn't for people who don't like RPGs or Sonic, Sonic fans who also enjoy RPGs will absolutely love the game!

Product Release: Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (US, 09/30/08)