Review by BlackSkull9195

Reviewed: 01/05/09

Is a Sonic RPG a hit or a miss?

INTRODUCTION
Sonic the Hedgehog first made his appearance on the SEGA Genesis. Since then he has appeared various other consoles. Each of those game included speed and/or platforming. Now, Sonic returns to the Nintendo DS. And this time, Sonic stars in his first ever RPG. Is this a good idea, or should Bioware have stuck with the traditional Sonic elements?

STORY 8/10
The story in Sonic Chronicles starts out with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy fighting Eggman on his new Egg Carrier. Tails cuts a wire on the carrier, causing it to fall into Earth. Sonic and co. manage to escape on Tails' airplane, the Cyclone. With Eggman presumed dead, Sonic goes on vacation. However, Tails calls Sonic in the middle of his vacation talking about how Knuckles was kidnapped and now Sonic has to help find him. As you progress through the game, the story unfolds a bit, and gets more and more interesting. I found myself playing at 3 in the morning just to find out what happened next! However, it did get a bit confusing here and there.

GRAPHICS 8/10
The graphics in this game were remarkable. From the different areas, to Sonic and his friends, and even the cutscenes. However, there were some things in this game that did look like a little kid drew them. For example, there is an enemy in the game that can fire a blue laser at you that looks like a badly misshapen rectangle. Graphics, however, never affect my score.

MUSIC/SOUND 9/10
I absolutely loved the music in this game. Every single song in this game was beautifully made. The sounds are wonderful as well. However, there are points in the game where you hear some kind of cracking sound that has absolutely nothing to do with the environment, and it got VERY annoying. Like graphics, the music and sound never affect my score.

GAMEPLAY 10/10
Ah, the gameplay. This is where a game really shines. Actually, the gameplay is where this game really shines. Gameplay revolves around two things. Moving on the overworld and battling enemies. Moving on the overworld has you using the stylus to tap an area where you want Sonic and his friends to move. If you want to switch to a different character, just tap the picture of their face on the upper-left corner of the screen. Battling also requires the stylus. First, you tap a command(For example: Attack), then you tap the character or enemy you want to interact with. There are also special "POW Moves" that require tapping and dragging buttons on the screen in order to attack or to dodge. Overall, the gameplay in this game was fantastic. I found absolutely no flaw with it. There are also times where you need to speak with a character. In these situations, there are special tabs on the side of the screen, which let you choose what you want Sonic to say. This could lead to information on the story, it could cause a battle with an enemy, it could get you right back into the gameplay, and much more!

LENGTH 7/10
REPLAY VALUE 8/10
This game is fairly short. If you rush through everything, it should take you about 2-3 days. If you try to collect everything and do the sidequests like I did, it should take you around a week or so. I finished the game in only 5 days. Yet I kept on playing afterwards because it's so fun. I'm not the kind of person who replays games, so this is actually a surprise to me.

FINAL RECOMMENDATION
I love this game to death. It is a wonderful game. With over 10 different characters, over 100 collectibles, and many different sidequests, this game is one of the best games out there. I highly recommend you at least try it out. Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood is definitely a hit.

Product Release: Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (US, 09/30/08)