Review by Sir_Sonic_

Reviewed: 10/07/08

Sonic is back? Knuckles too? It's almost too good to be true...

Sonic Chronicles was a highly anticipated RPG developed by Bioware. The fans of the series were quite skeptical at first because they weren’t sure if Sonic the Hedgehog could pull off an RPG. It was basically unheard of, Sonic the Hedgehog in a game that isn’t going to run that fast? Many anticipated it to be a flop, while others were looking forward to it. So, how did one of the foremost RPG developers in the world do on this highly skeptical Sonic RPG?

Story~

While it’s not the most epic story line I’ve ever sat through it does have its props. It starts off with Knuckles being kidnapped by the mysterious Marauders. Tails relays this to Sonic, so they set off on an adventure to rescue Knuckles and retrieve the Chaos Emeralds. The game quickly changes once you find Knuckles, and to my surprise…Knuckles finally got another pretty large role. There are a few twists within the game that will keep you guessing and the ending will just have you begging for more. I’m not going into any more detail because I don’t want to spoil the game for those who have yet to play it.

9/10: All in all, Bioware did an excellent job with the story line. It’s the best I’ve seen from a Sonic game in years.

Game play~

While many were disappointed by the lack of d-pad control, the touch screen actually works really well with this game. I’m not too fond of having to use the stylus to move around throughout the entire game, but that’s usually because controls end up clunky at times. This game takes advantage of the touch screen and actually uses it well. It also keeps you drawn into the battles with the POW moves by following the Elite Beat Agents style game play. Needless to say if you turn your head for too long then you’ll be used up that precious PP for naught.

9.5/10: I really had a distaste for stylus based movement, but they made it work and it worked pretty well. The POW moves are just enough to keep you drawn into the battles as well.

Sound~

This was probably the most disappointing part of the game for me. Whether the actual game is good or not isn’t a point here. The Sonic franchise has always been known to have some of the best music to ever spawn from a video game. It just didn’t live up to that hype this time around. I still remember learning how to play Green Hill Zone on my guitar, and unfortunately, none of the music in this game made me want to pull it back out and teach myself another song.

6/10: While it’s not that bad, it’s not on par with the Sonic franchise as a whole. Even 06 had a better soundtrack, and that’s saying a good bit. Bioware, next time let Sega do the music.

Graphics~

Definitely not the best I’ve ever seen, but it’s the DS, so we can only hope for so much. Despite that fact, it’s actually one of the better looking DS games I’ve seen out there. The characters look pretty good in battle. The style they use actually fits the franchise well, and it runs together fairly smoothly. It has its flaws, but I’ve never seen a perfect game.

9.5/10: One of the best looking DS games I’ve seen altogether. The style fits, and it works pretty well to boot.

Overall~

It’s not the best RPG I’ve ever played. Nor is it the best Sonic game I’ve ever played, but that doesn’t stop it from being a superb Sonic game and a superb RPG. No game is without its flaws, but this is definitely a step in the right direction. I’ve always been a Sonic fan, and I always will love the series no matter how much it’s butchered. Good game Bioware, it looks like you’re taking the little blue hero a step back in the right direction. Great job, and keep up the good work.

9/10: What can I say? It’s a rarity nowadays, Bioware has made a good Sonic game…And they did it with an RPG. Just goes to show that even out of his element, if it’s done right the end product will shine.

Product Release: Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (US, 09/30/08)