Review by DanteSInferno84

Reviewed: 10/06/08

Thanks alot Nintendo

Some days, you just can't help but really feel sorry for Sonic. I mean, the guy was a world wide icon back in the system war days. You saw Sonic, you instantly thought Sega and vice versa, much like Mario and Nintendo. Now, I'm a Nintendo backer, thats for sure, but its just maddening what Nintendo has done to the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. I mean, I honestly think their punishing the little blue guy for the past. Back on Dreamcast, Sonic Adventure 2 had really brought Sonic and friends into the next generation, adding some long lasting new guys at that... then Dreamcast died, Sega went to games only, and after Sonic Heros and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, oh and Sonic Tennis... Nintendo does it to Sonic again.

I had high hopes for this game, honestly I did. A long time game mascot in an RPG. It worked out great for Mario (then again, they did has Squaresoft do it for em too), but this game falls short, much like Mario Super Star Saga and Partners in Time.

Gameplay: 5/10 - Sloppy. I mean, the laziest form of RPGing, is the enemies shown on the map, then going to a turn based battle system. Not to mention half the time, the enemies are overwhelming... with underwhelming pay offs (See Metropolis and Kron Colonies to get the point driven home). Oddly enough, a feature that people don't seem to like, might be one of the few things I really DID like about this game, and thats the touch screen commands for special moves, and the chase down/run away feature. I mean really, take those out, and your in an almost more boring RPG than Quest 64.

Graphics: 5/10 - Their ok. Nothing amazing, but then again, that can describe the Sonic series since Sonic Adventure 2. I mean, truth be told, I really do think they could of tried harder. Alot of the "3-D" scenes (which are thankfully few) still look like stuff they tried out on the Sega Genesis. I mean, come on, it can be done better, we've seen it done! If they can do CGI cut scenes on a GBA game, lets see that effort on DS already!

Sound: 1/10 - Oh man, thank God I normally play my games on the DS or PSP with the sound OFF. Sonic was always known for great music, and I mean, they cut corners EVERYWHERE already, why not make the game at least pleasant to listen to?

Story line: 5/10 - I'll give them some small credit, giving us more insight into Knuckles was pretty nice, and bringing in probably more new characters is always good. I would actually prefer to see more of Shade... and less of Cream. I even like Big the Cat more the Cream, let that tell ya something. Though, entirely way too short. With a game boasting as many playable characters as this one, they should of been able to expand it even further.

Overall: 5/10 - I don't hate this game as much as I may make it sound, but really, I had really higher expectations. I really was hopeing for Super Mario RPG quality in this game (and why shouldn't I? Mario RPG was on the SNES, the DS far surpasses it, come on people a little effort here! Your Nintendo, we're used to waiting on you anyways, so don't worry about deadlines!) Though, really, ya know, I've noticed a sure fire way of telling if a Nintendo game will suck. If its not a stand alone Mario game, if they advertise the HECK out of it, its going to stink. If they just let it loose into the market to see how it fairs, its a darn good game. And yeah, we've seen the ads for this game... my theory still stands.

Product Release: Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (US, 09/30/08)