Review by AnyGenGamer1

Reviewed: 06/26/12

Lego Starwars: The force is strong with this game.

Ok, let me be honest. When I first heard about Lego star wars, I was like: "Lego?! Are you kidding? Why?" It sounded like the dumbest idea in the world. I finally decided to try it out. Was I ever WRONG! This game is incredibly addicting. Sad to say, this is the best Star Wars based game I have ever played. Please keep in mind that if I haven't played it, I cannot comment further on any other game, like the X-Box live stuff. This is one of the most pleasant surprises I've ever seen recently, 2nd only to Mario 3D land. Here's how I rate each aspect:

Graphics: This is the DS, not the PSP or Vita. That being said, the graphics are not perfect. But for the DS system, they did a splendid job. The main flaw in the graphics is the movie sequences, but I think movie sequences are tedious to sit through anyway.
8-10

Music/Sound: Classic Star Wars. The Mos Eisley Cantina band sounds good, plus the classic lightsaber and blaster sounds. The star wars opening music by John Williams is rendered perfectly: John Williams would be proud. After 20 years of tinkering, they finally have re-produced his theme in all its glory.
10-10

Challenge:
This is where the game falters a tad. I played through Episodes 1-3 in one evening, and only put it up because it was getting late. The game is a little too easy.
6-10

Controls:
I love how the stylus is not used to control EVERY ASPECT of the game. I felt that the lone use of the Stylus all but ruined Skribblenauts, a game that had real potential. The only use of the stylus comes in a part of the screen where you can 'use' the force to move obstacles and interact with objects. It's only optional: by pressing the 'a' button, you can accomplish the same result.
10-10

Replay:
The game does keep you interested, and like so many other games, it has you coming back by letting you access previously unseen parts of the levels with certain characters. You acquire them by buying them from the Cantina Bar. Also featured are several minigames where you can deflect laser blasts with your lightsaber, and other things. It also has an online mode, but I haven't done that yet.
8-10

Overall:
8.5: The game is good but not phenomenal. I'd imagine getting bored with it after I beat all the levels and find the secrets. It is still lots of fun. The Lego element of the game plays part of the gameplay, as you build things to create switches, platforms, and power-ups. Nice touch. In this way, the 'Lego' gimmick makes total sense. Plus, the characters are interesting rendered in their Lego counterparts: Ki-Adi-Mundi is my personal favorite, because he looks so funny.

Verdict:
Recommended-Yes, but probably for younger kids, aged 10-12. Some older gamers might find the 'Lego' thing too childish, as I initially did. But I entered it with an open mind, not with the intent to hate it. If you are in the mood for a Star Wars Game that is totally different from all the others, check it out.
-AnyGenGamer1

Product Release: LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (US, 11/06/07)