Review by Y2JosHBK386

Reviewed: 09/25/08

Final Fantasy IV has the good, the bad, and the flaws.

Final Fantasy IV is a game that has been remade over and over again and for some reason, people keep buying it. Now This is my first time down this journey that has been praised as one of the greatest Role Playing Games of our time. What did I think about it? Keep reading and find out!

Let us start with the Story. It is basically your very cliche story of let us get the crystals before the bad guys, then fight a boss. That is basically it. It might have been outstanding for its time, but I even doubt that. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one plot twist, and that is certainly unacceptable given that the game may take you around 30 hours to finish. I wish I could make this section longer, but it is a very cliche story and that is all there is to it.

Now I would like to cover the graphics of the game. I must say, for a DS game, the graphics are pretty terrific. Everything looked pretty darned good, and it is even has some lovely FMVs. There isn't much to say here, but the graphics are what I want in a DS game. This might be the best aspect of the game!

We will now go over sound as it kind of goes hand in hand with the visuals. The sound is nothing new if you have played the older Final Fantasy, and they did make it sound better than the previous games. The sound wasn't bad at all. I didn't find myself turning the volume down once. It complimented the visuals perfectly.

I saved the best section for last! We can now cover the game play. I found the actual battle system to be quite well done. However, it does get repetitive and that is probably because it is an old school game. After being spoiled with the new generation of games, it is pretty hard to go back. The actual over world is is even more repetitive than the battling. Sometimes, they do not even tell you were to go and I think that is a problem in any game. Also, some of the things in the game just don't make a lot of sense such as the trip to the moon or the way they did their new game + (Yes, they do have something titles so). However, I did find two great aspect of the game, and they were the increased difficulty and the boss fights. The Increased difficulty is great because every game needs a challenge, and every previous installment of the game has been make so easy to the point where it was a cakewalk to beat the game. I am glad to see them giving us a challenging game, it just makes the game funner. Every boss fight required its own unique strategy and I think that is rather rare in games. I think the majority of people will find the bulk of the fun in the game in the boss fights, other than that, people will find it a boring grind-fest to the next boss.

All in all, it is a decent game to go through once, but after that, I can't see anyone picking it up again except for die hard nostalgic fans of the game. I must rate this game 5 out of 10.

Product Release: Final Fantasy IV (US, 07/21/08)