Review by FonCodeD

Reviewed: 07/17/07

This game isn't that bad...

Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth Remix is a remake of a PSX game Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth, with new difficulty setting, new endings, completely new artworks, the ability to control with touch screen, and a new character (By replacing an old one). However, not everyone has heard about it though...

There are a lot of bad reviews about this game, I would agree that not everybody like this kind of game, and I won't call Hoshigami Remix the greatest game ever, but it definitely isn't that bad, and I believe it at least deserve a 6 out of 10.

I would say it is pretty ordinarily, not too amazing, but it do have branch paths, a ton of options, and different endings. This factor should make the story interesting... Although not everyone will like this, but you can always check the Walkthroughs, right?

There are people who don't like it, but I think it is good enough, the character sprite is in 2D, and the environment is in 3D.

The 3D environment is great, but in some area when there are a lot of people on the map, it will start to lag, which is not very fun.

The gameplay can be complex, unlike other strategy game's move once, act once, end turn, Hoshigami Remix uses the RAP (Ready-for-Action points) system, it means that your character can move/act until the RAP gauge is filled up. However, you can attack even if it will went over the RAP bar, but doing so will delay the character's next turn, and if you end early, the character's next turn will come earlier, compares to someone use up all his/her RAP gauge.

But there are some flaws, you always start with 100 RAP, depending on what you did, it will decrease, but the amount isn't written in numbers, so you can't really know how much exactly RAP your character left... Unless you were counting, but this is not a good thing for people who lose count easily or just don't like to count, like me.

Another problem is you can not undo what you did, so sometime if you are not counting, it can screw your strategy up... But this is how a strategy game should be, calculating what is going to happen, isn't it?

In some area or maps, there two layers, some people find themselves unable to target enemies on the layers, but you can actually switch layers by pressing select.

The terrain also takes part, depending on the terrain, it might cost more RAP to move over it, better/worse accurate/evade, more/less damage cause/receive, either physically or elementally.

Another interesting system is the Coimfeigm (Shorten as "coin") system, which is how you cast magic in the Hoshigami world. Since the magic is like an item, in order to use it, you have to equip it, and you can increase it ability/effect by "engraving" the coin with "seal". If you like crafting system, I think you would like this too.

Class system in Hoshigami are in from of Religion, so depending on the elemental spirits the character worship, they can use certain weapon better, equip more/less coin, have a certain stat grow faster, and learn a certain skill.
An element of a character is also base on the religion; you actually can customize a lot of things.

Music & Sound: 7/10

I personally didn't found any problem in music, but like graphic, it is not too outstanding either. Oh, however, if you keep playing Tower of Trial non-stop, you might started to find it repetitive, but you can always mute the sound.

The sound isn't very noticeable too, but I myself don't like the sound when a person is defeated, the "Ugraah!" "Yaaah!" sound they make is... a little bit disturbing; it might be only me though.

Extra

There are 3 different difficulty setting: Easy, Normal, and Hard. The hard mode is the exact same difficulty as the original, in both normal and hard your character can die permanently, but you can save him by using a revive coin before the battle ends, which in easy and normal both provide you with a revive coin from the beginning.

There is also a detail tutorial in the option, which is good because the systems are complex.

Play Time & Replayability: 9/10

With the coin engraving system and building characters, I believe it can really keep you busy! With multiple ending and alternate route, it should be able to make want to play again... If you like the game, that's it.

Rent or Buy?

I like this game, but not everyone will like it, if you like SRPG and can stand complicated system then you probably will like this too.