Review by objection55

Reviewed: 03/10/11

Perfection

To start off, let me make one point clear: this game is amazing. I may sound like a crazed fangirl here, but it is what I believe to be the honest truth. This game delivers on every level and leaves the player with a sense of accomplishment and endearment. Breaking it down to every aspect is simple:

Gameplay- matching, slashing and more
The World Ends With You contains a completely unique battle system that I found to be extremely easy to adapt to. Both screens are used to battle "Noise" at one time, which can be a daunting proposition to some players. However, the game eases you into handling the controls by allowing the player to set the top screen to work automatically as well as the ability to change the difficulty of the game at any point in time. The touch screen is used extensively to execute a variety of attacks to battle enemies. The only problem I have found in this game derives here as occasionally, the touch screen fails to recognize some attacks. Overall, the gameplay is well-rounded and suitable to any level of gamer.

Sound- "Calling, someone is caaaalling..."
Warning: the music from this game will be stuck in your head for days. The Japanease-Pop soundtrack that goes on as you navigate the streets of Shibuya is extremely catchy and appropriate for the background. Some people may not like this style of music, but having not normally listening to such music, I found it enhanced the experience of being in Shibuya without ever detracting from the setting.

Replayability- 100 hours and still playing
With the addition of an entire extra, endless chapter, secret reports that expand the plot, noise to uncover, and items to collect, this game will occupy much of your time. Perfectionists will seek to have 100% completion, which is possible in this game. Personally, I have replayed this game several times just to relive some of the epic moments and battle some of the bosses again. Even with 100 hours of playtime, there are still many things I have not acquired.

Story - "ENJOY THE MOMENT!"
The reason to play The World Ends With You is undoubtedly the plot. Without spoiling anything, the plot revolves around a young man by the name of Neku who wakes up in the center of Shibuya with no idea how he got there. The lesson of the game, reflected in the title, remained in my mind long after seeing the touching endscene and the credits. The player truly becomes attached to the colorful cast of characters who all seem to be real and interesting.

Overall
By not playing this game, you do an injustice to yourself. For an enticing story, fun battle system, and hours of replayability, pick up a copy as soon as possible.

Product Release: The World Ends with You (US, 04/22/08)