Review by Gnrl_Smeargle

Reviewed: 02/03/09

C'mon Phones!

I saw the many reviews for this game, all 7/10 and above, so I figured I would try it out and see if it was all hype or not. It's not, well, some of it may be. But this game is fantastic, and is now one of my favorite handheld games of all time. Everything in this game comes together flawlessly. I would love to give it a 10, but I can't say it's flawless on every level.

The game play is very enjoyable. Trying not to spoil anything, I'll keep it simple. You control two different people at once during fighting. You always control Neku, the main character. But you have 3 different partners throughout the game who help you fight. Your partners can fight using the arrow keys, or A, B, X and Y buttons, depending on if you are right of left handed. Neku is controlled on the touch screen with a stylus. You can equip pins onto Neku changing his attacks; pins are basically magical weapons in this game. The different pins you wear, the different ways you attack. The game play is very enjoyable, and gets the player very focused.

The story of "The World Ends with You" is fantastic, in my opinion. It is truly unique, and I don't know how to explain it without spoiling anything. So I'll just leave my story explanation as "Fantastic".

The graphics in this game are interesting. They make it appear like a well drawn comic book or anime. Therefore I can't really rate it against 3D graphics, but I don't mind the graphics as comic style at all. In fact, I like it.

This game has a large soundtrack; you can even find it on iTunes if you like it that much. It's all Jpop, so the soundtrack for this game is either great, or terrible, depending on your taste in music. If you don't like Jpop, just keep the game on mute when a cut scene isn't happening. The sound is no reason not to buy such a great game.

This game took me about 5 days to beat, when I wasn't at school or doing homework, I was playing this. It's a very addicting game. The replay value is also very good, because once you beat the game you get an entirely new chapter, along with other objectives for the ones you have already completed.

Final Recommendation - This game is easily worth a buy. Some people have told me this game is "Rare" and "Hard to find". I didn't think so; I just walked into my local GameStop and found it quickly. Maybe I was just lucky, or maybe it really is a hard game to find in a store. But it's worth going to the store and looking for.

Product Release: The World Ends with You (US, 04/22/08)