Review by nickyd123

Reviewed: 05/01/08

Something New and For Everyone!

“Something New and For Everyone!”

The words “New” or “Different” can sum up The World Ends With You pretty well. Never has a DS game kept me glued to my DS for as long as this game has. After buying this game with little research, I’m glad to say that this was one of the best purchases for my DS I have made in a long time. So let’s just jump into the review and see why I’m glad about this game!

Our protagonist Neku wakes up in the middle of a busy intersection, having what seems to be common in many games, amnesia. He looks around, but he notices that no one notices him. He’s invisible in the huge city; alone. When monsters called Noise come after him, a mysterious girl comes and helps him out as they together defeat them with Neku using Pins to attack. They are players in a game, and must survive, because if they don’t, something bad will happen…

So yeah, the story is ok. Kind of seems generic, but all in all it’s not too shabby. Some parts of the story had me interested, while others made me want to skip the dialog as fast as I could. Nothing extremely fancy, but it gets the job done.

Ahhh…the meat of the game. This game has one of the most original gameplay styles I’ve yet to see. It really makes perfect use of the dual screens, utilizing the touch screen for some actions while still using the top screen for others. Basically, a battle goes something like this:

Top screen is reserved for your partner. Using the control pad (or ABXY buttons if you’re a lefty) you will follow a path of arrows which lead to a finishing icon (varies from partner to partner). Every button pushed deals damage. The touch screen is for Neku, the main character. Using the stylus, you will drag him to move around. Slide him fast and he will dodge enemy attacks. Using a wide variety of Pins, Neku can unleash different attacks. You can use these pins by using the touch screen in ways such as sliding upwards on an enemy, or drawing a circle around Neku, or simply tapping spaces and enemies. What makes this so interesting is that you have to pay attention to both screens and use the stylus and push buttons at the same time. It’s rather overwhelming at first, but you’ll get it eventually. The game is also nice and has a feature in which a COM plays your partner if you don’t push buttons for a moment or two, which is good for beginners. Both players share a health bar, if it depletes both players are “erased”.

There are more to the battles, but basically, the battle system is unique and entertaining. As well, getting the different pins and using different combinations of them is pretty fun too. My only annoyance with the game is the menu. You will get a lot of items, no doubt, and so you have to throw away the ones you don’t need, and if you let it build up, its annoying to get rid of those extra pins. As well, with clothes you equip, the games keeps slots for clothes even if you don’t have it anymore. This takes up space and makes finding a specific accessory rather difficult. But that’s just me…

The game is colorful and creative, but nothing about the game’s graphics made me go “WOW”. The view of the city in every area is in a different angle, some oh which make the environment look rather weird, but these do not affect the gameplay what-so-ever. Attacks in battles look alright as well, but again, nothing too fancy. And fusion attacks aren’t all that exciting looking.

Sounds/Music: 8/10
Just like graphics, the sounds are good, but nothing to cry over. In terms of music, a lot of the battle music and city music are words with lyrics. I doubt many of you will have recognized the music, I’m assuming they lie within the anime category of music, which I do not dwell in often. But some of them are catchy, others not. Sounds are fine in the game. Nothing out of the ordinary here. There is some voice-acting in the game, and they sound just fine too. Again, nothing too amazing in terms of sounds however.

Replayability: 9/10
There are loads and loads of music, items, pins, and clothes to find/buy that can keep you busy for a while. It’s also fun to mess around with different pin combinations, as you can unlock different ones by evolving some pins. There is some multiplayer action, but mainly for trading and playing a mini-game. Nonetheless, there should be enough things to do to keep you busy for a while.

Conclusion:
The game is great, simply put. Its original battle system is complex, yet very entertaining. Square Enix did a great job putting together this game, as it makes full use of the DS’s dual screen capabilities. The game is very addicting, and should keep you entertained for quite a while. So, in terms of Pros and Cons:

Pros:
Incredible/Innovative Battle System
Lots of Pins, Items, Music, and clothes to buy/find

Cons:
Pretty boring story
Very complicated to play at first
Costs $40

So this pretty much sums it up. The World Ends With You is a great game and is something different that most people should enjoy. It costs a little more than an average game, but I’d say it’s worth it. You’d be doing yourself a favor to pick this up!

Product Release: The World Ends with You (US, 04/22/08)