Review by diaper_breath

Reviewed: 04/17/07

The magazines are all wrong!

Foreword:

I was starting to wonder rather to get this game or not. I've always been a fan of the wario land games, and this seemed to be exactly that. Well it was a little choppy at first, because in most wario land games, there are normally numerous bosses on each level, which you must backtrack to. But in this game, there is only one boss per level. When I first played this game, I didn't really think it was that great, and that maybe the game magazines were right about this game. But after Carppacio came in it got a big twist that was pretty sweet. This is the kind of game, that even can be annoying at times, nags you in the back of your mind, until you complete it.
Thanks for that
- John

Now, the storyline is pretty "wario" oriented. After the beginning, as I said in the foreword, it was kind of dull. All this stuff that made me think that wario was kind of being really mean to The Silver Zephyr, but every time I fought him as a boss, it came back that he just wanted his wand back to steal stuff as well. Then when Carppacio came in, the first thing I thought was: "man this guy's a fruit", but he becomes pretty cool later on (although I still think he looks like a chick when he's a big bubble. Than I always thought that carppacio and The Silver Zephyr (sorry forgot his identity) wanted the wishstone for the wish, but in the end there's always a plot twist because *SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS* the wishstone doesn't want the wish at all. They want to spread them around so they never get back together.

This game has great gameplay, nuff said.

The graphics are actually pretty bad for nowadays ratings, but it gives you sort of an old-school taste of the wariolands, as I've probably already said. The minigame graphics are just the same. You're probably wondering after all this, why I gave and 8 out of 10 on this category. It's because this game actually has good graphics for a side scroller, even if some people don't like the old-school taste.

Controls: 7.5/10

The controls for this game are quite simple. Use either the up,down,left, and right to move, and can have the stylish in your hands at all times, or if you're left handed, you can use the A,B,Y,X buttons. The only thing about these controls that I didn't like was that at first it was a little difficult to change forms, but after a bit it was simple (except dragon, that still gives me trouble). Another thing was at the museum, where you have to write letters, the I's don't have little dashes on top and bottom in the game. Also the K's were almost impossible for me. Maybe this is a good thing, but about one half of the time the hearts for arty wario wouldn't work. So far I've only been saying bad things for this, but it's really good except the museum actually. Because of that I give this only 7.5

Sound: 9.5/10

Sound was never a really important factor in games for me, but I had the music on for this game for a long time, and then I just couldn't play without it. It suited every level there was and always had good climactic battle music. I also really like the way The Silver Zephyr said "HA" or something when he attacked you when he was the boss. the sound was almost perfect except sometimes it gets a little annoying when you can't figure out how to do some part.

Replay value: 8/10

Nothing special here, except it is cool to replay after you get all the outfits, but I wouldn't recommend starting a new file. To me it would be a little patchy. Replaying the minigames are always fun though, so it's cool you can do those whenever you want.

Final comments:

This game is a great game to the wario game collections, but the biggest difference I found in this and not in the warioland games is that in the warioland games the enemies would hit you and it would effect you in some way so you could get to treasure, or doors, etc. In this, you only have to use your costumes. I seem to forget if the warioland games had health or not, and I'm pretty sure they didn't, but I haven't played in awhile so I wouldn't be an expert there. All in all, it's actually a great game, and tells me that the magazines must not have done much of it and probably just sat around and gave a random rating.

Final score:52/60