Review by 1downmushroom

Reviewed: 06/28/05

Wow, I never knew Mario could be locked up!

Super Mario 64 was originally launched in the year 1995 as a launch title for the Nintendo 64. The game came with most N64 systems for quite a few months after its release. In 2004, the game was recreated for the DS.

This game had several differences from the N64 version, the main being the different characters, but the concept still hasn’t changed: Complete tasks in several different levels to earn Power Stars. These Stars help you to open doors to new levels. The idea is great, and yet several people dislike it. This strikes me as odd, especially because it is still a great Mario Platformer. So to hear my opinion on their opinion, read on.

GAME PLAY: 10/10
I’m not sure what’s more fun: breaking live blocks into pieces, or making live bombs explode. And by live, I mean LIVING. The idea of the game is to go through multiple levels, completing objectives to find hidden Power Stars. These objectives can range from scaling giant mountains to beating up giant Bosses. The levels all have different settings, from the bottom of the ocean to a Stone Fort in the sky. The levels each have 8 objectives, and 2 are shared by all of the levels, but 6 are found only in that specific area. There are also secret stars hidden in the castle, which I won’t bring up here.

GRAPHICS: 7/10
The backgrounds and landscapes in this game are plain superb, especially for the DS. The reason that this category only gets a 7 is because of the awful close-ups. These are extremely, extremely dreadful. Several of the enemies, when they are viewed from Character-cam (first person view), are blocky. If these were just a tiny bit better, this section would be an 8.

MUSIC: 8/10
I turned this game on, got to the first level, and was completely hooked on to the music. The music for each of the levels completely matches the theme of the level itself. My favorite song in the game is the theme for the 3 Secret Slides. So catchy… The main flaw in this category is the fact that practically every boss has the exact same theme. And it’s a pretty bad theme, too. The music would be perfect if not for that one song.

SOUND: 10/10
The sound for this game… can be summed up… in one very short word… WOW. The cannons sound like cannons when they shoot. The ruffling trees sound like ruffling trees when you climb them. The fantasy sounds alone are enough to get this category a 10. Listen to the star as the main menu loads. That just sounds plain real. When you stomp a Goomba, you can imagine yourself there, listening to it as it dissipates. And Bowser’s voice? Creepy. But incredibly awesome.

STORY: 7/10
This is a Mario game, so you can’t expect a very original story. But it gets the job done, and I’m not going to complain. The Princess Peach has invited Mario to come share a cake with her at the Mushroom Castle. Luigi and Wario overhear the plan and decide that they are going to sneak along. They appear from warp pipes in the castle grounds, and enter the castle. Meanwhile, Yoshi, the friendly, green, (and extremely cute) Dino is watching from the roof of the castle. Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Princess Peach don’t come out for quite a long time, so he decides to go into the castle to see what is wrong. As it turns out, Bowser has locked them all up, stole 120 of the 150 Castle Power Stars, and hid the stars in paintings around the castle. What should Yoshi do…?

REPLAY VALUE: 7/10
This game “requires” 80 stars to beat it. That leaves 70 stars of the 150 still left to be found. That’s quite a lot to work with. You can also go on a bunny hunt to unlock more mini games. And you could always start a new file to do stupid stuff with or to look for glitches (exactly what I did). There is always something to do in this game, and I haven’t even gotten to the mini games.

MINI GAMES: 10/10
This game has 36 unlockable mini games, 8 of which you get right away. Some are completely awesome (Wanted) and some are just plain horrible (Loves Me…?). The mini games are divided into 4 different categories.
Yoshi: Puzzle.
Mario: Action.
Luigi: Gambling.
Wario: Everything and Anything else.
To unlock these mini games, you have to play the Adventure Mode and catch colored Bunnies. To catch bunnies to get a certain character’s mini games, you must play as that character this means that it is impossible to get all of the mini games right away. I played some of the mini games for 2 hours straight. They are just plain great.

MULTIPLAYER: 7/10
The multiplayer in this game is more like a mini game. You will, however, be bored of it within 20 minutes. The rules are: Each player is a Yoshi. Hats are scattered on the ground that turn the Yoshis into Mario, Luigi, or Wario. A star will then appear on the field. The first player to get to the star will be allowed to keep it for now. After 5 stars have been claimed, the game becomes a free – for – all to punch the stars away from the other players and grab them. After time is up, the player who has the most stars is the winner. It’s a good concept, but could have been developed on a little bit better.

CONTROLS: This category will be broken into 3 sections for easier reading.

STANDARD MODE: 9/10
This control setting is the most comfortable to me. You use the Control Pad to move, the B button to jump, the X button to run, the A button to attack, the R button to crouch, and the Y button to zoom the Camera. The Touch screen is nothing but a map, and you play the game on the top screen. The reason this isn’t a 10 is this: you are maneuvering a 3-D world with a 2-D directional Pad. For a lefty, however, this would get a 10 because you still have the option to control your character with the stylus, and this is super easy for a Lefty, because of the way the buttons on the DS are arranged.

TOUCH MODE: 5/10
As this review is written by a right – handed player, lefties should not be paying attention to this section. This area gets a 9 for lefties. But for you right – handed players, this control mode is your worst nightmare. You have no choice but to move the stylus with your left hand. You use the stylus to move, the B button to jump, A to punch, Y and X to rotate the camera, the L button to center it, and the R button to crouch and/or Ground Pound. The Control Pad has zero influence on your character. When I bought this game, I thought, “This game is for the DS, so I should use the stylus to move.” WRONG. I have no idea what Nintendo was thinking to even include this mode. Horrible. It’s just plain horrible.

DUAL HAND MODE: 8/10
This mode is a much more comfortable version of the Touch Mode, designed for equal comfort to right- and left-handed players. The only problem I find here is the fact that the button controls feel funny. You press up to jump and down to crouch, for example. This idea seems to go against all games that use a proportional controller (PS2, DS, and XBOX). These all seem to use the lower button as the jump button and the upper button as a crouch button. And I don’t just mean Mario games. However, if you feel you need to use the stylus to move, and are a right – handed person, here you go. Take it or leave it.

GAME PLAY: 10/10
MULTIPLAYER: 7/10
STANDARD MODE: 9/10
TOUCH MODE: 5/10
DUAL HAND MODE: 8/10

OVERALL: 9/10(this is not an average)
This is really a great game once you get further into it. Some people seem to say that this is a disgrace to the Mario Platforming Franchise, since the levels aren’t straightforward like in the old days of 2-D Mario. But that is not a reason to overlook what is probably the most fun DS game on the current market. I disagree with anybody who wishes to pass by such a great game.

RENT OR BUY: Rent, but not because the game is a bad game. If you are a 2-D Mario nutcase, this is a very big change to the series. If you are new to the Mario Platforming Franchise, see if you like it first.

HOWEVER: If you enjoyed the original version of this game for the Nintendo 64, BUY THIS GAME! You will only like this game better.