Review by Hacker Elite

Reviewed: 01/03/05

A must have DS game.

Many people wait to buy the DS until their are more games out for it, but for us big Nintendo fans we can not wait to get their next big handheld. We want it and we want it NOW. Those of us that did buy it ran into the problem with a lack of games. Sure we could wait, but until then the DS is just sitting there teasing us with its pictochat and Metroid demo. Then, a red hated plumber came to save us from the depths of no game insanity. This plumber was Mario. In this review you will see why this game is a must have DS game no matter when you pick up your DS.

Gameplay 10/10 - The controls were the best! They were easy to use and quick to learn. Keeping true to the N64 control set up along with a map on the touch screen and for those that can't stand the stylus for in game control this game doesn’t use it! The only time you will need the stylus is when you are playing the mini games and it's very easy to use. Now you can combat the forces of Bowser as Yoshi, Mario, Luigi, and Wario! Each character brings certain moves and abilities that are required to get all the stars. You will need each character to finish the game so you will never leave anyone out. With all this new gameplay it will keep you playing for awhile and not make you think of it as a simple port.

Story 5/10 - Story isn't your main focus in this game, but if you look at the story it's horrible. Well, you start the game and Princess Peach sent a letter to Mario to come get a cake she baked for him, so Mario comes...and so does Luigi and Wario. Anyway, Yoshi is sleeping outside the castle and Lakitu come and tells him to go and see why Mario, Luigi, and Wario are taking so long. Bowser has taken Peach spread the power of the castle to his minions in the castles paintings. A select three enemies have taken the liberty of locking our three heroes away in the castle. So, now you have to jump into these paintings and get the power of the castle and save our three heroes. It's weak and could use touch up, but can you make a perfect story out of painting containing worlds? Anyway, this story gets a 5/10.

Graphics 10/10 - The graphics are great. It's like holding a N64 in your very hands. No Nintendo handheld has ever come close to this level of graphics. Being able to transverse 3D worlds in the palm of your hands with the quality of the N64 makes these handheld graphics a big step in the handheld market.

Sound 10/10 - This game a very good soundtrack. Its neat songs that don't get annoying are the best of any games to listen, too! If you are a gamer that needs a good soundtrack this is the game for you! Bring you familiar Mario tunes this will have you remembering those old Mario games that you use to love.

Play Time/Replayability 9/10 - This game has a great play time because of 150 stars you have to find, but once you get those stars there is not much left to do, but the one thing that’s great about the DS version are the touch screen mini games. After you unlock all of these mini games you will keep you coming back again and again. Even after you beat this game you will want to keep it around and if you really liked this game their are 3 save game slots for you to play again if you wish. One thing that makes this game a must have is it's multiplayer. Up to four players can battle it out for stars and the best thing is they don't have to have this game. This game has is compatible with download play. Now you can you friends can battle it out with your game alone. This makes this game a more must have in case you meet someone that does not own it.

Final Recommendation - This is a must have DS game. Its gameplay and mini games will have you coming back again and again. The mini games alone could get you through a long car trip. I recommend this game for any DS owner. This game will keep you busy with all new stars, locations, and minigames. You will be reliving you childhood Mario gaming in no time.

Overall rating: 10/10