Review by NsiderDS

Reviewed: 12/20/04

A Great Remake of a Great Classic on a Great Handheld

This is my first review, have fun with it.

Introduction:

Super Mario 64 DS is an incredible remake of an N64 classic. The original Super Mario 64 was released with the first (I don't count Virtual-Boy) Nintendo 3-D system, the Nintendo 64. It amazed just about anyone who ever played it, and to this day, still wows people. Super Mario 64 DS is a remake of Super Mario 64 for the brand-new Nintendo DS and released on launch. I just got the game about a week ago, and just got 100 stars.

This isn't where Mario games are best. Almost every mario game has been the same. Ex: Super Mario Bros.: Save the princess, Super Mario World: Save the princess, Super Mario 64: Save the princess, Super Mario 64 DS: Save the princess. Nintendo added some slightly new story by having Yoshi going to check on Mario, Luigi, and Wario because they've been in the castle for a while.

The graphics in this game are truly astonishing to see on a portable game system. To make matters better, many sprites and textures have been redone for the remake. Mario and Bowser look much better, with mario having his Super Mario Sunshine look, and Bowser having his Mario Party 5 look. When Mario punches his hands and feet no longer get huge-looking, I don't know why they did this, but it helped. The new introductions in this game (Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario) are much better than they might have looked on the original game. The only problem I have in this category is Wario's sprite, but that isn't Nintendo's fault, Wario is just plain butt-ugly.

This is where the game really shines. The gameplay in this game is as good as ever. Stomping goombas, tossing bob-ombs, bashing Bowser, it's all there. As most people know, you start as Yoshi in this game, and you have to save the other characters. The game's character switching system could have been better. I like going to the room to switch, but after a while it becomes more of a chore. It would have been much better if you could choose your character when you enter a level or change on the fly like in Donkey Kong Country. The choices of the characters is much better by giving them each special attacks.

Sound 9/10

The sound is beautiful on the stereo speakers of the Nintendo DS. All the original music is there. The sound effects for Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario are just like in Mario Party 5. I still can't handle the fact that when Mario enters a world it sounds like he is saying "popsicle". The only problem I have with the sound is that I can't help but feel that something is missing.

Control 10/10

I don't know what people were talking about when they said how bad the game controlled. I use the stylus to control and it is just as good, if not better, than the original. I can't play with the thumbstrap, it make control impossible. The only thing that took a hit was running behind a boo to punch it. I don't know why, but it got much harder, it took me two tries to just get to Boo's Haunt, and about four tries to beat the Big Boo.

Length: 10/10

This is probably the most important thing I look for in a game. This game added thirty more new stars to the mix, which wasn't really needed because the game was already very, very long. I can beat most games in under a day, while this game took me a good week and a half. I still only have 100 stars. While you only need 80 stars to beat the game, the game really isn't over until you get all 150.

Multiplayer: 2/10

This game took a weak try at a fun multiplayer system. With the Single-card-multiplayer (Which I believe will fail just like when they did it for GBA) you can play wirelessly with up to 4 players with only one game-card. Sounds like fun, right? WRONG! You only get thirty seconds to run around and grab wildly for stars. If there was more time, and maybe some enemies to squash, it might be better. I was really hoping for a co-op mode in the game, which would change the 2 to a 10, but unfortunately, Nintendo never got around to it.

Minigames: 10/10

This is the best new aspect of the game. Early on in the game, you will take a trip to the princess's Rec Room, where she played when she was younger. Toad will tell you that he lost the keys to the drawer, and if you find them, you can go into the drawer to play the games. There are 36 minigames in the game that you can get by catching rabbits with each character. Each character has 9 minigames to their name, you start with 2 for each, but your collection quickly grows. The minigames themselves are very addictive, and hard to stop playing. This adds a lot of replay value to the game.

Difficulty: 8/10

I don't know what people were talking about when they said that the game became too easy. I've heard people say "The game that took me 7 years to beat only took me one week now" It isn't the game's fault, you just got better at games in the last 7 years. The game has a perfect setting for difficulty, so it is a challenge, but doesn't become frustrating. 8/10 is a very good score, 10/10 and 1/10 are bad scores because they are too easy and too hard.

I think this is my new favorite game, on my new favorite system. I have been a fan of Mario for about 13 years, and seeing 3-D Mario on a handheld was just great. The new characters add a whole new aspect to the gameplay. The minigames are just amazing. If I could change one thing on this game I wouldn't do it. This game is too perfect to change.