Review by Megagamer1

Reviewed: 11/22/04

God awful control accompanys an awesome game.

Hello fellow DS users. This is my first review, so forgive any mistakes. On to business.

Super Mario 64 DS is one of the games released with the DS launch, and in my opinion, the best DS game so far. However, that is not to say it isn't faulted. Let me break it down.

GRAPHICS: 8

I'm not going to get picky with technical things. The graphics are as good looking as they were in '96. The animation is smooth, and I haven't seen any slow-down. However, improvements could have been made. Water areas look blocky, especially in poison water. And, occasionally, the map shakes. Certainly could have been better, but not bad.

MUSIC: 10

Awesome. SM64 had some pretty catchy tunes. Those alone would have warranted a 10. Of course, with new stages, comes new music. Another plus. If you liked it back then, you'll love it today.

SOUNDS: 9

Overall, pretty good. Each character has their own sounds. There are even some voice overs. While these sounds won't cause your ears to orgasm, they get the job done.

CONTROL: 7

It's bad. I would have given it even lower, if it weren't for the fact that the controls in the mini-games are lovely. The main problem with it is the lack of an analogue. Everything is difficult. There are three modes to play with, one with the D-pad, and two with the touch-screen. Honestly, not much help. Having to hold down a button to run when using the D-pad is ridiculous, and it's difficult to maneuver with your thumb. Keep in mind, I've only played for a few hours, so it should gradually get easier. But even if I had reviewed this after beating the game, it would have still scored low for its incredibly high learning curve.

RE-PLAYABILITY: 10

Hell, it was fun back then, and seeing as it's got 30 more stars and a boat load of new levels, it's twice as replayable. Insta-ten.

So, that's it for my review. Yes, I understand that most of you don't think any Mario game deserves less than a 9, but this game is far from perfect. But that's okay, it's a whole new way of playing games, developers must do trial and error.

Super Mario 64 DS gets an 8 out of 10.