Review by 1guynamedchris

Reviewed: 09/15/09

Super Mario 64 DS review tagline

This was my first game for the DS and I consider it a good choice because I got a lot of play time from this game. I got my DS not long after it came out and for a week or so the only thing I had to play was my Metroid Prime Hunters demo (though I got a little obsessed with that). So I finally got a chance to get a game and I chose this (though that was mostly because I didn’t know what else to pick). Woo!

Also, in case you don’t already know, this is a port of a Nintendo 64 game - which you should know considering 64 is in the title of the game. There are, however, two MAJOR differences. The Nintendo 64 version only had Mario. This version has Mario, Luigi, Wario and Yoshi, plus a heap of extra stars. So if you’ve played the original, you should consider picking this up anyway. Another new thing is the mini-games, which take advantage of the stylus. Some of these can be very addictive and you may end up spending a lot of time on them.

Since when has any Mario game of any kind ever had a good story (if one of them has feel free to tell me)? This game is the same as any other; the princess is kidnapped and you must save her. Though there is one slight difference and that is the fact that everyone else is also kidnapped and the only one who isn’t is Yoshi. So Yoshi, for a short while, is the hero of this game. Whoop-di-doo.

Considering that this was a launch title, it’s very impressive. Although I suppose that’s to be expected considering it’s a port of a Nintendo 64 game. But still, the graphics in this game still look a lot better than a lot of the games that are coming out at the moment. All the levels and characters have fine detail put into them and it all looks impressive, and with how varied the levels are, this is a good thing.

This is a Mario game, so the music is naturally good. All the songs go together perfectly with their levels and some of the tunes are catchy. All over, the music goes with this game perfectly. Nothing really negative except that some songs might start to annoy you after awhile.

It’s all fine, you know? If you’ve ever played a platformer like Banjo & Kazooie or Donkey Kong 64, then you’ll know how this game controls. In this magical 3-D world of wonders, you start of as Yoshi. What you have to do in this game is basically jump through paintings that are scattered throughout the castle, which will bring you to a new big world. Within each world, you must run, jump and utilize all your abilities to obtain stars and coins. The main thing you must obtain are stars. They are what will help you progress through the game.

And there are four characters to do this all with. There’s Mario, who’s more all rounded; he’s fast and he’s sorta strong. He can also wall jump, which is something only he can do. Then there’s Luigi, who I consider to be a rather cheap character. The reason why is he’s uber-jump. Hold one of the shoulder buttons and press the jump button and he’ll do a massive backwards flip, and then he’ll slowly float down to the ground. That allows him to get to many places rather easily. The third character is Wario, who is mostly useless. He has uber-strength, which enables him to break certain things. I never use him, except when I have to. The fourth character is Yoshi, who you start off with. He can swallow baddies and turn them into eggs.

That’s the main gameplay. Another small but very fun part of this game is the mini-games. You start off with a few, but as you progress through the main game, you’ll unlock more by catching rabbits. Some of the mini-games include Wanted, where the top screen shows you a character’s face and you must find it on the bottom screen. Another is when bombs are rapidly coming out of two places and you must use the stylus to move them to their correct place (there’s two colours; red and black). And then there’s many many more. There’s a whole set of card games as well. Some can be very fun.

Overall a very fun game that will keep you entertained for awhile (assuming you enjoy it). If you’re at all into platformers, get this. This is better than Donkey Kong 64 (I liked that game but there were too many things that annoyed me). Better than Banjo & Kazooie? I don’t know; haven’t played that game enough.

Boo!

Product Release: Super Mario 64 DS (AU, 02/24/05)