Review by Amajlaton

Reviewed: 04/16/01 | Updated: 04/16/01

What happens when you watch TV and design games at the same time

Well, I'm going to be frank. The only reason I purchased Typing of the Dead is because I bought a keyboard for one game only, and I figured it was stupid to buy it for only one game. So I bought this game to make more use of my DC Keyboard. I've got to say, what a smart move on my part.

This game is lots of fun. LOTS of fun. Gameplay can be summed up like this: You use the keyboard to type words that appear on zombies that pop out at you. Type the whole word, the zombie dies. Fail to type the word, lose one life point. It's House of the Dead 2 where your bullets are letters and your gun is a keyboard. It's the most fun to play if you know how to touch type, and if you don't know, there's an in-game tutorial on how to learn to touch type. For the 30 (around that) dollars that it costs, you get a LOT. (Just make sure you have a keyboard.)

The phrases they have you type in this game deserve a little paragraph of their own. Some are weird, but most are hilarious. Seriously, if you are an avid TV watcher, you will recognize a lot of these phrases from various TV shows and commercials. You can tell the writers for this kind of thing were watching TV when they had to write all these phrases to type.

Graphics are great. Everything is smooth, very little graphics bugs (honestly I didn't notice any), and a very immersing experience. Sound is great too. The music makes you want to kill zombies, and while the dialogue is cheesy, you'll have a good time laughing at it. After all, who doesn't love cheesy Japanese dialogue? (All your base...)

Since you type to play this game, you can play it for hours upon end to constantly improve your typing skill. Your typing skill can ALWAYS be faster, unless you're one of those secretaries who types at 120 words a minute, in which case you can go get a well paying job and buy another game to play.

Reviewers note: I'll admit I don't play this game as often as I would be playing it if it were one of those game-of-the-year games. But in addition to being a fun game and a great typing teacher, this is good to fall back on when you've just finished playing one of those big money games for seven hours.