Review by dasmightyburn2k2

Reviewed: 12/28/02 | Updated: 12/28/02

Virtua Cop is back, but how does it stack up?

Virtua Cop 2 first came out in Japan, sometime around January and March 2000. It was subject to pretty harsh reviews that plagued most Dreamcast lightgun games. Even then, Sega deemed it good enough to package it with the Sega Smash Pack. Please note that I don't own the Japanese version, and this is based on the version that came with the Smash Pack, though they are the same game. Now I've played the original Virtua Cop on my Saturn and in the Arcade (so many years ago). It was released in America (on the Smash Pack disc) on February 4th or 5th, 2001 (I forgot the exact date, but I got it the day it came out) It was never released in PAL format.

Gameplay: Well, there isn't much to a light gun game. All you really do is just shoot a gun at the screen. It sounds quite boring but it's quite fun. However, you can use a regular controller, but it takes a lot of fun out of the game and is quite hard and boring. For best results get a light gun. That makes the game a lot more fun and exciting. Now onto the story. Basically a mafia of sorts kidnaps the mayor, and causes chaos on the City, or it's something like that.

Sound: This is your average light gun game. I'll describe the sounds for you ''Bang, Bang, bang!'' That's all there really is to the sound.

Graphics: The graphics look just like the ones in the PC version known as Virtua Squad 2, but they run at a higher resolution. It's pretty decent looking, but not the greatest graphics you will ever see on the Dreamcast. Overall it's serviceable. A lot better looking than the Arcade and Saturn versions for sure.

Replay Value: This game is a one-time affair. You get just one mode of play, making this game is rather short. Sadly, there is almost nothing to unlock, but there are a few options you can mess with. This is however, one of the few American Lightgun games compatible with the Japanese/European light guns, or so I'm told.

Overall, Virtua Cop 2 is a pretty decent game. It's nothing special, rather short and plays pretty bland. Sure it has a saving grace: It's one of the few lightgun games on the Dreamcast. Is it worth buying? Yes. Sure, you have better games to spend your cash on anyway, but if you get it the American version (with the Smash Pack). Then it's worth the cash. But don't pay more than $20 (USD) for it, and that includes the import version.