Review by DMHawkmoon

Reviewed: 07/02/00 | Updated: 03/19/02

Sorry guys, this game will entertain you, but it's not deserving of an 8 or 9.

This is the first RPG for the Dreamcast, and it's obvious. Anyone can tell that the creators just wanted to have the distinction of releasing the first RPG for the system. There is only one small town, a few different monsters, and crude randomly generated dungeons. Despite this, it's not a bad game at all. A score of a ''5'' means it's average. Here's the breakdown:

Graphics: 9

It's a Dreamcast game, so of course it has great graphics. At the time I am writing this, it has the best graphics for an RPG on a console system. The only problem is that there aren't many little details in the backgrounds. The graphics suit the game fine, though.

Sound: 4

The sound stinks. Sorry. It just does. The best part is that they kept the Japanese voices.

Gameplay: 7

The battle system is what keeps this game from being a complete bomb. I am very optimistic about Evolution 2 because I love the ideas they had for the battle system. You can place your characters in 3 different rows. You get different bonuses depending on which row you stand in (either front, middle, or back). There are plenty of ways to upgrade your characters and tons of moves to learn. You have full control of your party's development. Another plus is that this game is actually a bit of a challenge compared to a lot of recent RPGs. The only reason I give gameplay a 7 and not a 9 is because of the boring random dungeons and because of the cheap move possessed by Pepper which can almost kill a boss in one hit. If it wasn't for that move, this game would be pretty tough.

Story: 4

The story is awful and predictable. The only good thing is the brief humor at some points.

Overall: 5

This is an average game. They didn't do a bad job considering they were probably working with a short deadline, but it's not a great RPG. I recommend getting it cheap. You will enjoy playing the game if you like RPGs, but you will not love it. Anyone who claims to love this game really needs to play some more video games. I can't wait for the sequel, though.