Review by RPG_Pro

Reviewed: 09/02/01 | Updated: 09/02/01

Where's the Evolution part?

This happened to be the first DC RPG I bought, and I was blown away! This turned out to be one of my favorite games of all time. I even went out the very next day and picked up Evolution 2. So......

Storyline: 5/10
Okay, it's average. Nothing special. An army invades, you have to stop them. Whoopee. This has absolutely nothing to do with ''Evolution'' of any sort, until the near the very end of the game.

Well, while they didn't shock me, Evolution's graphics are far from bad. Heck, they're pretty good! The environments of the ruins are nicely done, and the characters are very detailed. There doesn't seem to be much slowdown either, even when you're in a room with about 8 enemies. Pop-up seems to be just about non-existent as well. Very nice.

While this game had some good battle music, this is by no means another Final Fantasy, or Chrono Cross. Most of the music in this game is pretty bad. It's repetitive, and not interesting enough to keep you liking it for more than 5 minutes.
The sound effects, on the other hand, were very nice. The characters' noises, explosions, and spells all sounded good. Nothing wrong there.

Difficulty: 8/10
Evolution has a very nice learning curve. At the beginning ruin, it's very easy to progress through the floors, but by the time you get to just the first boss, it can be a challenge, depending on how you leveled up.

Replay: 4/10
Unfortunately, Evolution falls short in the side quests and secrets category. There aren't any. At all. The only thing to do is go back through all the ruins over again, which are randomly generated, and learn new skills.

Even though my scores might seem pretty low, I think anyone that enjoys a good RPG should pick this one up.
It's fun, has nice characters, and is refreshingly bright from the darker theme most RPGs seem to have.

--Pros--
- Random dungeons
- Decent music
- Nice battle and skill learning system
- Enjoyable characters
- Nice learning curve

--Cons--
- I guess random dungeons could be a bad thing.
- Music gets monotonous very quickly.
- No sidequests
- Moves slowly
- Camera angles can sometimes get stuck.