• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Street Fighter X Tekken
  3. why did people think zangief was gay?

User Info: Legend524

Legend524
7 years ago#1
I've heard on different sites that he homosexual, but the Bob vs Rufus trailer shows he is not.

He reacted the same way I might react to Julia suddenly grabbing on to me. Not to mention the damn she's fine face he put on after she attacked .

Or is it that Julia simply has that effect on all males?

User Info: ShineGreymon

ShineGreymon
7 years ago#2
There is no indication that he is a homosexual.
"Iced that guy! Cone of phrase." - Jack Slater
RIP Mega Man - 1987 - 2011

User Info: solidoutlaw

solidoutlaw
7 years ago#3

Well for starters, SFXT is non canon.

And his bio states that he hates beautiful women. In addition to that, theres IIRC official artwork of him in front of a mirror, and theres a picture of Vega with a heart on it. I've also heard that his design is based on the the Japanese gay stereotype (big, hairy, wrestles "bears").

User Info: KeJo6

KeJo6
7 years ago#4
solidoutlaw posted...
Well for starters, SFXT is non canon.And his bio states that he hates beautiful women. In addition to that, theres IIRC official artwork of him in front of a mirror, and theres a picture of Vega with a heart on it. I've also heard that his design is based on the the Japanese gay stereotype (big, hairy, wrestles "bears").

pretty much that
http://imageshack.us/f/18/noobbetrollin.jpg/
PSN: KeJo13

User Info: abyss

abyss
7 years ago#5
'Big muscle man in speedos' is pretty much the accepted Japanese stereotype for gay men, compared to the West where it's the effeminate man (which, of course, tends to be the stereotype for a ladies man in Japan...)

Then, pictures of Gief posing in the mirror looking at pics of Vega, his bio saying he doesn't like beautiful women, him having a special intro with the clearly gay Eagle in CvsS2, and supposedly a bunch of Japanese only win quotes over the years where he makes references that could be interpreted as gay (Eg, saying he 'likes' male characters).

Basically, there's a lot of evidence to suggest that he was meant to be gay without confirming it, at least to a Japanese audience. A lot of it doesn't have the same meaning or didn't make it to the West, so it's less obvious.

However, in recent years, Capcom seem to have moved away from it, starting with CFJ, which I think was the first time they showed something that could be taken as confirmation of him being straight, and then the SF x T trailer.

Personally, I think he was originally intended to be obviously gay (Or, I guess, making fun of the stereotype), to a Japanese audience, without really focusing on it, and that Capcom have recently chosen to reverse that for one reason or another.

User Info: NeverAsked4This

NeverAsked4This
7 years ago#6

solidoutlaw posted...

And his bio states that he hates beautiful women. In addition to that, theres IIRC official artwork of him in front of a mirror, and theres a picture of Vega with a heart on it. I've also heard that his design is based on the the Japanese gay stereotype (big, hairy, wrestles "bears").

Well, all of those are a matter of perception and can be taken in different ways. Saying that he hates "beautiful" women could mean he doesn't like the type of women who focus on their appearance and are all dainty/delicate. Maybe he prefers physically strong women which might not be considered beautiful on popular society. I'm gonna have to question how canon that thing with Vega is, or even if the mirror was Zangief's. If he was fawning over the picture it would be more understandable, but if it's just there and he's ignoring it I don't see it being a big deal. Could just be a little joke really.

And since when did being big and hairy make a person more likely to be gay I know of the "bear" stereotype, but I'd wager dollars and donuts that the use of bears in Zangief's history has far more to do with him being Russian than it does with sexual orientation. Also, these might be relevant to this discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPftH9qVH4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaYE9mJ0RfU

It's kind like the thing about Juri being a lesbian. As far as I know it's just speculation. Something about how in her japanese profile one of her likes was "big breasts" or something. That doesn't necessarily mean she's sexually attracted to other women. I knew a girl that admired other women's breasts in a completely non-sexual way. The same way a non-gay dude might look at another dude with ripped biceps and "admire" the fact that he is so fit. It's not so much attraction to the person, but admiring a certain aspect of them (which they might even wish they possessed. sort of like a jealousy thing).

I wouldn't mind if Zangief is gay It would actually be pretty nice for the sake of diversity. I just think people are jumping to conclusions before looking at all the possibilities.

User Info: kukingina2

kukingina2
7 years ago#7
no wonder Zangief likes to use his "spinning piledriver" alot

XD
3ds fc: 4940-5506-2047

User Info: solidoutlaw

solidoutlaw
7 years ago#8

NeverAsked4This posted...

solidoutlaw posted...

Well, all of those are a matter of perception and can be taken in different ways. Saying that he hates "beautiful" women could mean he doesn't like the type of women who focus on their appearance and are all dainty/delicate. Maybe he prefers physically strong women which might not be considered beautiful on popular society. I'm gonna have to question how canon that thing with Vega is, or even if the mirror was Zangief's. If he was fawning over the picture it would be more understandable, but if it's just there and he's ignoring it I don't see it being a big deal. Could just be a little joke really.

And since when did being big and hairy make a person more likely to be gay I know of the "bear" stereotype, but I'd wager dollars and donuts that the use of bears in Zangief's history has far more to do with him being Russian than it does with sexual orientation. Also, these might be relevant to this discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPftH9qVH4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaYE9mJ0RfU

It's kind like the thing about Juri being a lesbian. As far as I know it's just speculation. Something about how in her japanese profile one of her likes was "big breasts" or something. That doesn't necessarily mean she's sexually attracted to other women. I knew a girl that admired other women's breasts in a completely non-sexual way. The same way a non-gay dude might look at another dude with ripped biceps and "admire" the fact that he is so fit. It's not so much attraction to the person, but admiring a certain aspect of them (which they might even wish they possessed. sort of like a jealousy thing).

I wouldn't mind if Zangief is gay It would actually be pretty nice for the sake of diversity. I just think people are jumping to conclusions before looking at all the possibilities.

In Juri's case, and I can't confirm this, but I heard that it was an inside joke, as her bust size was increased during development, and they through that in her bio temporarily, but later took it out.

User Info: crosswindkrab

crosswindkrab
7 years ago#9
Meh. I always thought Gief was the kinda dude who was into muscles, wrestling, and strength regardless of gender.
As far as I know this is the first time that shrimp have been exercised on a treadmill

User Info: Flakcon

Flakcon
7 years ago#10
crosswindkrab posted...
Meh. I always thought Gief was the kinda dude who was into muscles, wrestling, and strength regardless of gender.

Same here. If you watch Scrubs, Todd appreciates hotness no matter the gender. If someone is strong, Zangief is happy cos he can go all out.
PSN: theSkarekro BNET: theSkareqro
My SSF4:AE videos http://www.youtube.com/user/theSkarekro
  1. Boards
  2. Street Fighter X Tekken
  3. why did people think zangief was gay?
  • Topic Archived