• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them

User Info: namelessguy321

namelessguy321
4 years ago#1
Which version is the "best"? - Results (29 votes)
SNES
3.45% (1 vote)
PS1
10.34% (3 votes)
PSP
86.21% (25 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I want to play this game, but given the choice of three different versions which one do you think is most worth my time?

User Info: EdeaCreamer

EdeaCreamer
4 years ago#2
PSP, hands down.

This isn't a mere 'port' of the original game, they've completely reworked the mechanics (mostly for the better) and added vast amounts of additional side-content. The translation work's also much cleaner. This is coming from someone who adores the SNES version, mind (PSX has horrendous loadtimes and really is just a port, and a bad one at that; stay away from that one).
Fifth of cognac, add some triple-sec...

User Info: gogues

gogues
4 years ago#3
PSP though I've heard the Saturn version (Japan only) is superior to the other ports of the original.

User Info: Touya999

Touya999
4 years ago#4
EdeaCreamer posted...
PSP, hands down.

This isn't a mere 'port' of the original game, they've completely reworked the mechanics (mostly for the better) and added vast amounts of additional side-content. The translation work's also much cleaner. This is coming from someone who adores the SNES version, mind (PSX has horrendous loadtimes and really is just a port, and a bad one at that; stay away from that one).

mario2000 posted...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBZ7AfZR9xs
Thanks for reading. (o_o)/

User Info: raics

raics
4 years ago#5
PSP version is much more polished so it would be recommended for a newcomer, however the older version has its charm too and is a much more hardcore game with different mechanics so it should get a playthrough too at some point if possible.

User Info: Nayiko

Nayiko
4 years ago#6
I'd say the PSP is the best version by far, but I think I would prefer the original SNES overall. It was a much harder version and I find myself missing the way the level ups and stats used to work sometimes.
PSN: Seirno / FFRK: ty4B / Discord: Seirno

User Info: EdeaCreamer

EdeaCreamer
4 years ago#7
I think the main issue with the PSP version's the 'kiddy glove' feel of the way they handle incapacitation and death of a unit.

This becomes most apparent when attempting to scavenge skills or try to get all of the Catiua-related stuff out of the way; you need to -work- to get those units to die, it's not something that will happen on its own (in fact it's recommended to wait until you have easy access to an area with pits so you can speed it up a bit). Meanwhile in the original, when you hit 0 HP with a unit, that's it, unless Revivify's on someone (one copy) or they happened to have a Blessing/JoyStone in one of their four item slots (not purchasable).

The original has a serious balance problem with the AGI stat; once you realize this is pretty much the only stat that actually matters in the long run growth-wise, the game breaks into little pieces. They addressed that in the remake, but then other problems were introduced. Still leagues ahead of the original, IMO.
Fifth of cognac, add some triple-sec...

User Info: Folles

Folles
4 years ago#8
Why go for AGI when you can use Necro and Retissue xD
Meow

User Info: kaede

kaede
4 years ago#9
The western version in snes and ps1 had some serious
mistranslation,the psp got it right(with some unnecessary fancy word)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A