• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
  3. Questions regarding balancing issues and MP

User Info: mlataupe

mlataupe
7 years ago#1
I'm about 10-12 hours in against the Lord of Lava at the top of Old Smoky
Oliver is lvl 19 and Esther is lvl 17

So far the main issue I've had was managing my MP.
-Debuffs require MP.
-Few of my familiars along with Oliver and Esther have weak regular attack abilities so I rely on Mag Atk that require MP.
-Coffee refills a small amount of MP and is either rare or somewhat expensive at this point of the game.
-Critical story puzzle require MP.

My point : I have a major issue dealing with the game due to the way magic is so prevelant in almost every aspect of the game and yet the game doesn't provide you with enough MP to deal with it.

Seems like a pretty big balancing issue to me but I might be doing something wrong.
Usually in JRPG you can just go to a shop and stock up on Mana Potions and you'd be fine. Not so much here.
What gives? If you guys could give me some help I feel like I'm playing the game wrong.

As it is I'm stuck against the Lord of Lava, can't beat him.
Xbox Live GT : m la taupe --- PSN : mlataupe
Steam : mlataupe --- Battle.net : mlataupe1978#2475

User Info: mecha_mkII

mecha_mkII
7 years ago#2
This game has horrible balance issues. You can literally burn your MP in 2 battles. I choose to go with leveling near towns and save points and trying to avoid combat elsewhere.

User Info: Thanatos2k

Thanatos2k
7 years ago#3
Don't use much MP on your main person during regular fights. Let your AI people run out of MP, they're worthless anyways. You should always be maining a familiar that has a strong and quick physical attack. You should NOT be using a magic oriented familiar during random battles and using magic as your main attack.

You can also solve the problem by overleveling.
-Thanatos2k-

User Info: goonermx

goonermx
7 years ago#4
I usually only equip low-cost offensive spells and healing spells on my teammates familiars so they don't run out immediately. I use fast attacking familiars with boosted ATK on Oliver and try to work elemental advantages. Takes a while now to run my MP down.

User Info: Winabe

Winabe
7 years ago#5
also the save stones refill your mp so you shouldnt ever go into a boss fight at less that perfect condition.

User Info: Greyfeld

Greyfeld
7 years ago#6
mlataupe posted...
I'm about 10-12 hours in against the Lord of Lava at the top of Old Smoky
Oliver is lvl 19 and Esther is lvl 17

So far the main issue I've had was managing my MP.
-Debuffs require MP.
-Few of my familiars along with Oliver and Esther have weak regular attack abilities so I rely on Mag Atk that require MP.
-Coffee refills a small amount of MP and is either rare or somewhat expensive at this point of the game.
-Critical story puzzle require MP.

My point : I have a major issue dealing with the game due to the way magic is so prevelant in almost every aspect of the game and yet the game doesn't provide you with enough MP to deal with it.

Seems like a pretty big balancing issue to me but I might be doing something wrong.
Usually in JRPG you can just go to a shop and stock up on Mana Potions and you'd be fine. Not so much here.
What gives? If you guys could give me some help I feel like I'm playing the game wrong.

As it is I'm stuck against the Lord of Lava, can't beat him.

Yeah, this is a pain in my butt, too. I'm doing a couple boss fights just after getting my ship, and to avoid getting my face punched in at close range, I've decided to peck away from range with magic. And I end up having to go through 2-3 full mana bars (and both my AI partners dying) before I kill them. And I get the lovely pleasure of blowing through my mana items that cost 20% of my wealth a piece, and only fill up 1/3 of my mana bar per item.

It wouldn't be nearly so bad if at least the alchemy system would let me craft my own items for less than I'd have to buy them at the shop. But of course, they require alchemy items that you can only find in the field, which makes it all extremely limited, sort of defeating the purpose.
PSN - Aevio
"I'm on a Goomba." - BlackMageJawa

User Info: Shinebolt

Shinebolt
7 years ago#7
This is why I still have that forced to metamorph mite as Oliver's primary familiar. Almost all of the other familiars I have right now are magic attack-oriented or still lower physical attack-wise then that mite. Luckily, my purrloiner's is finally getting there though, but I still wish it wasn't so damn easy to burn through MP in this game. >_<
Take this post seriously at your own risk.

User Info: HC82

HC82
7 years ago#8
Because the game has save stones that refill your MP at the beginning of an area and right before a boss, I usually just let my other characters blow off all their MP because it won't matter when I reach the boss battle.

As for Oliver, you should not be using a magic based familiar as Oliver's main familiar or even using much of his magic in combat. Your Mite at that point in the game should put out very good ATK damage with the proper weapon (proper element) and should be able to solo most of the generic battles by himself if need be. Mite's sword weapon's later on can be elemental based, so you can swap his weapons for specific battles. This makes Oliver's MP a non-issue because his preferred Genus is more physical based.

Feeding Mite some chocolate will help boost his attack further if it's not putting out good damage. I reserve Oliver's HP for healing only, because having Mite do the heavy lifting in battle will get you further along, then wasting Oliver's MP for a special magic attack (which will be underwhelming until late game). You'll get more bang for Oliver's MP buck, if you keep him on heal duty only and let his physical based familiars just beat-up people.

Mite gets phased out very late game, but in the mean time, he's very beefy early game.
"It's my duty to please that booty" - Shaft

User Info: Greyfeld

Greyfeld
7 years ago#9
Shinebolt posted...
This is why I still have that forced to metamorph mite as Oliver's primary familiar. Almost all of the other familiars I have right now are magic attack-oriented or still lower physical attack-wise then that mite. Luckily, my purrloiner's is finally getting there though, but I still wish it wasn't so damn easy to burn through MP in this game. >_<

Even some sort of Tent item, where you could heal all your characters' HP/MP in one go would be helpful. That way I wouldn't have to run back into town or hope I'm within running distance of a save point every time my team gets low.

This gets especially bad when they throw boss fights at you without any warning. Having just barely got my boat, there are three boss fights I've already done that don't give you any warning whatsoever that you're about to hit a boss fight. Each time, I've ended up having to shell out 10% of my wealth to continue so I could save and set a fully healed party right before the checkpoint.
PSN - Aevio
"I'm on a Goomba." - BlackMageJawa

User Info: najzere

najzere
7 years ago#10
Well you should definitely save more, that's an easy thing to fix. For me, I relied on all physical attackers so MP wasn't too much of a problem except for Esther in really long boss fights. Also, there is an item that refills your entire party's HP and MP, but you won't get it until late game.

The AI is pretty dumb in this game, if you want to abuse it, just use all out attack when the boss is focused on you and all out defense when it isn't. Then you just run up behind it with Oliver and throw out your attacker. It makes the fights longer (the last boss before post-game probably took me 12–15 minutes), but you can do them with a lower leveled party.
http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/?name=najzere&platform=ps3
  1. Boards
  2. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
  3. Questions regarding balancing issues and MP
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A