• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  3. Spoilers: Still such a waste...

User Info: Scraps

Scraps
1 month ago#1
No matter how many times I play this game, that's always the thought I have upon completing the Forest Temple.

Why does the game even bother with the backstory of Link's mother who died after entrusting him to the Deku Tree? None of the characters act like they're affected by it, we don't get to learn anything about where Link came from, the only takeaway from it is, "It's your destiny to cleanse the temples and awaken the seven sages!" -- which is something the player already knows and is working toward by the time you find out.

I know this is an older game or whatever, but it's just tragic that they introduce this bit of potential and then don't do anything with it. They could've just said that baby Link turned up in the woods in a basket one day, for all the significance it has.
Peace and crackers!
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: JediArcher145

JediArcher145
1 month ago#2
Well I really do hope they release an oot/mm release with both the games combined into one on the switch. I hope at the end of ocarina of Time, it says you've unlocked Master Quest and then ask you if you want to return to the main menu or continue your adventure into Majora's Mask. Highly unlikely, as it will need a tweaking of Majora's Mask's gameplay or Ocarina of Time's and a lot of fans won't like that, but I would definetely. You could remember all the songs learned in the previous game file and I don't think that would effect it very much. You don't get a musical instrument until the end of the first 3 days anyway and epona shouldn't be able to get across the boulder or jump over the huge fences because she's still just a foal and can't jump super high. It would be cool if you could have the power of the Bunny mask while you have it in Ocarina of Time, and since the only mask you keep at the end of the game is the Mask of Truth, I don't see this making MM super easy.

User Info: OhHiRenan

OhHiRenan
1 month ago#3
Because the point isn't Link's mother, it's the fact that Link is a Hylian.

Link's arc– if you want to call it that– is framed through a constant othering. He's the only Kokiri without a Fairy, then he's the only Hylian with a Fairy. No matter what, he doesn't quite fit in and it's all tied to a greater "destiny" that keeps him disconnected.

I suppose there's something to also be said about coming of age, growing up and understanding the full scope of where you came from.

http://i.imgur.com/KxJQD.jpg
My Final Fantasy VII Remake Review: http://www.cubed3.com/review/5905/1/final-fantasy-vii-remake-playstation-4.html

User Info: Diggleman

Diggleman
1 month ago#4
hey he's right!!
silksong Hype Diggle from Whopper.Jr (ACNH)
also hoenn is the best hands DOWN

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
4 weeks ago#5
Scraps posted...
Why does the game even bother with the backstory of Link's mother who died after entrusting him to the Deku Tree?
I've beaten this game over a dozen times across 3 systems, 3 times were 100%, and I'm still unsure what you're referring to.

Which part specifically is this mentioned?

Scraps
4 weeks ago#6
Lord_Wombat posted...
I've beaten this game over a dozen times across 3 systems, 3 times were 100%, and I'm still unsure what you're referring to.

Which part specifically is this mentioned?
After you finish the Forest Temple. You're set down in front of the Deku Tree, whose sprout grows in now that the curse on the forest is broken. He tells you you're a Hylian and that Link's mother fled into the forest during a war when he was a baby. She left him in the Deku Tree's care and then died shortly afterward, and so Link was raised as a Kokiri until the time came to fulfill his destiny.
Peace and crackers!

User Info: Arbalist

Arbalist
4 weeks ago#7
The child part of the game makes clear that Link doesn't fit in with the Kokori. The Deku Sprout basically explains what you already knew - Link is not a Kokori at all. Given what you learn about them being bound to the forest and never grow up, that's probably a good thing anyway.

To be fair, how many Zelda games (even the newer ones) even give Link much of a backstory to begin with? OoT mentions Links parentage and early childhood, which was more than previous Zelda games ever did.
Eating an entire clock is very time-consuming.

Scraps
4 weeks ago#8
I guess I might just be looking at it all wrong...I'm used to these sorts of adoption stories where a character actually learns something about their birth family, or meets a long-lost relative, or at least wonders about them at some point. So to me, it's weird that this game introduces the concept of Link's mother and then has every character not mention her again.

Like, they could've had some random villager mention a relative who disappeared in the war. Instead, no one even acts as though such a conflict took place nine years ago.
Peace and crackers!

User Info: OhHiRenan

OhHiRenan
4 weeks ago#9
Scraps posted...
Like, they could've had some random villager mention a relative who disappeared in the war. Instead, no one even acts as though such a conflict took place nine years ago.
This is something I've thought about a bit. The Hyrulean Civil War is a pretty important plot point in the context of Ocarina of Time's backstory, but how is it conveyed in-game? Textually, I can't think of any NPC dialogue that alludes to it, but I believe this is a case of Nintendo adhering to subtext.

The Gerudo are a gated & self-segregated community, Darunia alludes to a bad relationship between him & the Royal Family, and the Zora are completely aloof to the rest of Hyrule. I'm not sure how much there is to really read into there, though (other than the Gerudo.)
http://i.imgur.com/KxJQD.jpg
My Final Fantasy VII Remake Review: http://www.cubed3.com/review/5905/1/final-fantasy-vii-remake-playstation-4.html
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  3. Spoilers: Still such a waste...
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A