This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

We might have a big problem

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  3. We might have a big problem

User Info: TheHeroOfTime

TheHeroOfTime
3 weeks ago#1
Past few islands I've been to have been nothing but hackers. They can seed holes around you and I've had two people tell me the hackers somehow were able to teleport back to the other player's town. I'm now a bit more afraid of the island.
3ds FC 2535-3641-8974,Smash Main-Link/Toon Link
Match in the Gas Tank, Boom Boom!- Gilbert Grape

User Info: katysu

katysu
3 weeks ago#2
Bad news as to the number of islands with hackers there doing things to other players.

Ability for another player to go back to your town - I saw the post I think you were told about - where tho I can't remember, I'll search.
But it wasn't a real teleport to another's town - I think the victim could see them in their town, sort of overlaid, but they weren't actually there. I know it wasn't what it seemed to be & no harm done to the players town? Edit: Well turn off without saving would be the thing to do.
I'll try and find the post.

http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?445931-Club-Tortimer-Hacking-Glitch

What happened to the thread creator Mairen sounds awful, I would be frightened as I'm not sure at what point it would be best to flip the wifi switch with all that going on.
Flipping the wifi switch tho is how the thing was ended with presumably no harm done apart from losing the items.
I would not flip the wifi switch when I was seeing the black screen with the little white boat with Kappn'n it - that is a loading screen? - not a point to close the game safely.
I certainly don't want to have to go through something like that.

Edit: theres a link within that link to a similar experience. Two things I don't understand, although I do believe in the main what the posters say. The first link - the poster seemed to have tools on the island that could be brought back & she lost a watering can - that is not possible on CT islands (without hacking).
The 2nd link - the poster mentions seeing Resetti, you don't see Resetti when you lose your progress due to wifi loss.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

katysu
3 weeks ago#3
Oh dear I can't edit my post anymore - I have edited a lot on there!
Never mind, just another thing I got from reading the Bell Tree Forum links
The tools that the poster lost were in her inventory - they were there when she spoke to Kapp'n to go to the island - & he says as he always does, something on the lines of 'I'll keep them & give you them back after' - she lost the tools that were in her inventory.

Ouch. Bad news. I agree I think we do have a problem with CT islands, and it isn't just one occurrence.

@TheHeroOfTime - thank you for bringing this up - I had seen a post but not the one I've linked to, which is far more detailed.
I don't like it at all, yes bad news.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

TheHeroOfTime
3 weeks ago#4
I hope Nintendo will patch the ability to use hacks, I mean when they get to work on AC Switch maybe they'll send a spotpass letter to announce the game to 3ds players and they'll see something isn't right.

User Info: LuigiFan835

LuigiFan835
3 weeks ago#5
TheHeroOfTime posted...
I hope Nintendo will patch the ability to use hacks, I mean when they get to work on AC Switch maybe they'll send a spotpass letter to announce the game to 3ds players and they'll see something isn't right.

Unfortunately it’s not as easy as it may seem to patch it to completely prevent hacks. Most of the new system updates for 3DS were done to patch out certain system exploits that could be used to hack the system, because hacking the system means you can then hack the games like ACNL, Pokémon, etc. Plus it’s not as easy to detect hacks in specific games.

But the main issue is that the hacking scene for 3DS has grown pretty large and even if hacks are patched out, it’s not long before another method is found.

Hopefully they do eventually figure out a way to fix it.
3DS FC:1375-8350-6103; Switch FC: 5454-0571-3814; NNID: MARIOS_BRO123
Mario and Luigi Paper Jam is factually better than PM:TTYD -SeamusOHassey

katysu
3 weeks ago#6
I doubt Nintendo will fix, game is 5 years old.
Nintendo will know about the hacking, I'm sure some staff members read the gaming boards if nothing else.
I guess the way they will fix it, if they do anything at all (most likely do nothing) is to cease supporting the wifi functions such as Dream Towns & Club Tortimer.
Clutters up their servers, so probably keen to cease wifi support anyway.
Still, currently we have the game & some wifi support, so make the most of it while we have it.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: LuigiFan835

LuigiFan835
3 weeks ago#7
katysu posted...
I doubt Nintendo will fix, game is 5 years old.
Nintendo will know about the hacking, I'm sure some staff members read the gaming boards if nothing else.
I guess the way they will fix it, if they do anything at all (most likely do nothing) is to cease supporting the wifi functions such as Dream Towns & Club Tortimer.
Clutters up their servers, so probably keen to cease wifi support anyway.
Still, currently we have the game & some wifi support, so make the most of it while we have it.

They’ll probably shut down the Wifi stuff for this game when the WiFi stuff for 3DS as a whole is shut down
3DS FC:1375-8350-6103; Switch FC: 5454-0571-3814; NNID: MARIOS_BRO123
Mario and Luigi Paper Jam is factually better than PM:TTYD -SeamusOHassey

User Info: farmery87

farmery87
3 weeks ago#8
Something similar happened to me while on CT, think it was early last year.

I arrived on an island with one other person. After a few minutes, the screen faded to black as if someone was arriving/leaving, the "saving" message popped up as normal.

Rather than re-appearing back in CT island, we were somehow on my own island. The same person was still there with me. I shut off the wifi as was worried about my island bring ruined or it being used as a back way into my town.

User Info: Erukia

Erukia
3 weeks ago#9
:(
If I'm not mistaken, aren't most of the Island-exclusive items now available via Amiibo cards? Because, at least there's that.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
New Leaf Dream Address: 5D00 - 0075 - B871

TheHeroOfTime
3 weeks ago#10
I just miss the good ole Club Tortimer days. :'o(
  1. Boards
  2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  3. We might have a big problem

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.