5 years ago #1
    Animal Crossing Message Board FAQ v2.00

WARNING: If you consider knowledge of items and new aspects “spoilers” (I don’t, but some might), I advise you to skip Sections II and III. You’ve been warned.

~ 0. Table of Contents ~

I. Introduction
    II. What’s New?
    III. Wifi
    IV. Frequently Asked Questions
    V. Sources

~ I. Introduction ~

What is Animal Crossing?

That’s a very good question! Animal Crossing is actually rather hard to define in words. Plainly put, Animal Crossing is a real-time virtual reality game, meaning that you control your own persona in a game that functions contemporaneously with real life. However, that definition is rather dry. In Animal Crossing, you live in a town that you can build from the ground up. Animal Crossing synthesizes many elements together to create a vacation-esque environment: you can fish, you can catch bugs, you can buy/trade/find furniture, you can plant flowers, you can manage your town, you can decorate, and you can make many (virtual!) friends. Your existence in Animal Crossing is almost like an alternate reality without the constraints of life (e.g., work, school, and so on).

Is there any “goal” in Animal Crossing?

No, not really. Animal Crossing is about as non-linear as it gets. There are a few checkpoints at the beginning of the game that help you get started, but how you build your town and fashion your avatar is largely free of any in-game guidance. Of course, you can always set in-game goals (“Today I want to plant an orchard!), but, like I said, these are self-imposed. Much of the game’s enjoyment is derived from you building your town up from scratch and creating a place you’d really want to live in.

For those of you who are familiar with past Animal Crossing games, I will say that New Leaf has a much more structured beginning, meaning that you do not have immediate access to everything after you complete the few benchmarks in the first hour.

Do I have to play every day? And at different times?

No, it’s not a requirement to play every day. However, certain things about your town will deteriorate over time (weeds will grow, flowers will die, and villagers will forget you), but preventative measures can be taken. If you can play once every two or three days, you should be fine. Here’s my disclaimer, though: the time investment to keep your town running is usually less than 15 minutes, and I believe that is manageable for most people. There are also preventative measures you can take if you want to mitigate the deterioration during, for instance, a vacation.

Playing at different times allows you to catch different fish and bugs, yes. Also, playing in different months and different seasons and on different events and holidays can yield specific items. However, if you have no qualms about messing with your town, you can “time travel” by changing the clock. This does affect your town (namely having the same effect as ignoring your game when you go forward in time), though.

What are/were the release dates?

Animal Crossing was released in both digital and physical form at the following dates for the following regions:

North America: June 9th, 2013
    Europe: June 14th, 2013
    Australia: June 15th, 2013
    Japan: November 8th, 2012
    Korea: February 7th, 2013

**DO NOT POST YET**
    Luigi > Mario
    Current Project
    : Animal Crossing: New Leaf FAQ/Walkthrough