This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  3. Can I be black in this game?

User Info: kingbadjo

kingbadjo
7 years ago#1
Hello. I was wondering if I could choose my skin tone in this game. In AC:WW I could only get darker by staying outside... So will i be able to choose my skin tone at the start? I'll still get the game if i can't so it's not important at all. It's just a little something extra when I get to play as a black character lol not many games where I can do that.

Again it's not a deciding factor. I just want to know.
I don't need violent videogames to reassure myself that I'm an adult.

User Info: Boo Destroyer

Boo Destroyer
7 years ago#2
Is the Mii Mask thing in this game? That should do it then.

User Info: spandrels

spandrels
7 years ago#3
From watching the Japanese gameplay, it doesn't seem that choosing your skin color is an option. I'm thinking this is an oversight on Nintendo's part.
3DS FC: 4484-7838-4440

User Info: 90sRetroGaming

90sRetroGaming
7 years ago#4
I myself am black and i am hoping i can use the skin tone that i actual have in real life, lol. if not oh well. i play games for games so... would be nice though! :).
"OldSchoolGaming4Life" on YT/"90sRetroGaming" on mariokartwii.com

User Info: diving_devil46

diving_devil46
7 years ago#5
It's a fair question tbh...

There should be a way to choose your skin color.

I actually dislike the white-centric nature of video games.

I am white, I tend to choose white or tanned characters if I get to choose, so this isn't a feature for me personally...

But the exclusion of such an option seems a little...narrow-minded... I guess that's the best way to describe it?

I don't think it's quite fair to say racist - because I genuinely don't think this sort of thing crosses the dev's mind (and I realise you didn't mention anything about racism either, just making the point that when I say narrow-minded, I mean just that and nothing more).

But yeah, it's a minor feature that could add variety to the game for some people. It also gives each mayor another way to look and feel distinct, and allows us as players to feel more attached to our towns through a more accurate virtual representation of ourselves.

Probably a longer response than necessary... xD - But short answer, I have no idea if it's in... :D

User Info: ThadBarr

ThadBarr
7 years ago#6
I suppose it's just a reflection on how insular Japanese culture is. ACNL makes it fairly simple to get a green afro, but you can't get black skin. That's not exactly confined to AC. Aside from Brock, there weren't many black/brown people in Pokemon until quite recently. (At least I can't think of too many...)

My understanding is that aside from US military personnel confined to bases and a barely tolerated subculture of illegal immigrants from Nigeria in Tokyo, there just aren't any significant populations of black people in Japan. Nor too many brown people from other parts of the world, either.

So perhaps it is a bit understandable that the whole skin tone issue has been overlooked. We in the US should be careful not to throw stones too quickly. Supposedly, Crayola changed the name of their "flesh" crayon in 1962, but I could swear I was using flesh crayons in kindergarten, and I'm not *that* old.

At any rate, thinking that the rest of the world is going to be especially sympathetic to our all-so-recently-acquired Anglo-American concerns about ethnic identity issues is probably a mistake.

They just don't sell to many of these in Japan for them to worry very much--

http://www.amazon.com/Crayola%C2%AE-Multicultural-Crayons-Large-Colors/dp/B001HA6IOE

User Info: diving_devil46

diving_devil46
7 years ago#7
ThadBarr posted...
I suppose it's just a reflection on how insular Japanese culture is. ACNL makes it fairly simple to get a green afro, but you can't get black skin. That's not exactly confined to AC. Aside from Brock, there weren't many black/brown people in Pokemon until quite recently. (At least I can't think of too many...)

My understanding is that aside from US military personnel confined to bases and a barely tolerated subculture of illegal immigrants from Nigeria in Tokyo, there just aren't any significant populations of black people in Japan. Nor too many brown people from other parts of the world, either.

So perhaps it is a bit understandable that the whole skin tone issue has been overlooked. We in the US should be careful not to throw stones too quickly. Supposedly, Crayola changed the name of their "flesh" crayon in 1962, but I could swear I was using flesh crayons in kindergarten, and I'm not *that* old.

At any rate, thinking that the rest of the world is going to be especially sympathetic to our all-so-recently-acquired Anglo-American concerns about ethnic identity issues is probably a mistake.

They just don't sell to many of these in Japan for them to worry very much--

http://www.amazon.com/Crayola%C2%AE-Multicultural-Crayons-Large-Colors/dp/B001HA6IOE

Oh I didn't mean to imply I was throwing stones or trying to raise an issue where one isn't really present :)...

I understand fully the lack of black culture in Japan. But can also appreciate how this oversight could be interpreted incorrectly.

The TC also said it's not a deal breaker, but it is definitely something it would be nice to see a change in slowly perhaps for the next game if not this one.

If nothing else, as they delay the EU and US releases it could be a feature specific to those regions (though I am sure this is easier said than done).

User Info: Hours_Left

Hours_Left
7 years ago#8
I think the only way to change your skin tone in this game is if you wear the Mii Mask.
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)

User Info: MistraLY64

MistraLY64
7 years ago#9
Maybe it's one of the North American "exclusive features"!
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code - 3866-8037-1801
Nintendo Network ID - MarioMaster91

User Info: cris1ussen

cris1ussen
7 years ago#10
Well personally i don't think that the game will have a skins option like the 3 previous games (which in my opinion would be nice if is added in this new installement, will make the game more realistic) but i always wondering in why doesn't have this option?, reading the previous comments about the Japaneses being Mind-narrow (means close-mind, right?, sorry my english is not very good to understand some terms or phrases), actually have a little sense but no generally, i think is more fault of Nintendo in not put the option because if we compared Animal Crossing with the game Magician Quest/Enchanted Folk (made it by Konami) that game has a skin option (in the beggining when you are creating your character), so why AC cann't have it too?

Also this situation made remind a similar problem that i have with Nintendo with the previous AC (City Folk) and also with my 3DS Mii, they banned the word "Cristian" from theirs games/consoles, which sucks for me because that is my first name!, seriously Nintendo has a problem with the Christians for ban the word!? (ohh... well...)
PSN/SEN ID: Totavier (blank request will be rejected!)
3DS Code: 1547-5436-7425, Name: Cristian
  1. Boards
  2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  3. Can I be black in this game?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A