• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
  3. How important is Medic early on?

User Info: Shadow_FF6

Shadow_FF6
1 month ago#1
So, until you can get an Arcanist, Medic is the only healer option. Are they really necessary in the early game, or does the extra fire-power of a fifth character who can do good damage make up for that? I'm guessing healing with items is a bit much, but I'm curious as to how practical it is.

And yes, I know I can just retire (or whatever the mechanic is called) my Medic into an Arcanist once I get there. Just curious as to whether going without a Medic is a valid idea, or if it's simply a self-imposed challenge option.
`/\ |\ | | \ `-|- `|_| |-_|) |-_`|` `|` |)
/--\ | \| | / ` | `|` | |_ |\ |_` |__| ` |\

User Info: YoruWestwood

YoruWestwood
1 month ago#2
You can use Dancer for an alternate method of healing in the early game, though neither Dancer nor Medic is necessary. Going without a Medic or Dancer in the early game is fine as long as you're comfortable with healing through items, which is tedious but doable. The advantage would be pretty minimal, though. Battles is the early game tend to be a battle of attrition rather than a rush to kill the enemy before they can kill you. The added convenience of a traditional healer is likely going to do more in the early game than an additional damage dealer. Medic also has Patch Up for free and convenient healing, and Dancer has Attack Tango to make up for the some of the damage lost anyway.

User Info: LiasLuck

LiasLuck
1 month ago#3
It's a matter of convenience than being necessary

if you bring a medic you won't have to worry about item and TP management as much because of patch up and Medic makes a solid DPS on its own

if you do, more dps but have to manage items or waste SP on something like Landskecht's bandage skill

''I'm invincible!...Or am I?''

User Info: Crazyalien18

Crazyalien18
1 month ago#4
In my experience, if you don't have severe money problems, you can just buy a dozen or so Medica in place of a Medic early on, and will have about the same benefits. Medica for your problems should work even through much of 2nd stratum, though after that you'd need to grind materials for better healing items if you're still against any form of healing. By that time, though, you have Medic, Arcanist, and Dancer all available as generally more convenient healing.

User Info: Shadow_FF6

Shadow_FF6
2 weeks ago#5
Starting to wonder about the usefulness of a front-line Medic. How is Medic / Landy? You've got the Mace line of skills from Medic, and Power/Mind Break for support attacks, and Swordbreaker / Iron Wall for some extra survivability. Seems like not a bad way keep the Medic busy when healing isn't needed.

What classes do people sub to Medic (or sub Medic on) to give them more versatility in combat?

Since this thread is a month old, I'll clarify that I ended up picking up EO5 instead of going back to this game, but now that I'm almost done with that, I want to move back and finally finish this game. I've decided to keep my old save file, but remix my party to some extent, using Logre and the Level 45 scrolls to swap out some of my party members. So I'm considering my options based on relatively limited info (GameFAQs has MUCH more stuff on EO5 than 4) and mostly forgotten memories of the game. I've got the skill information, but I don't have attributes, so I'm not sure on how much Strength and general toughness a Medic has. Presumably a decent amount since they have a line of front-line combat skills on their own, but it's not obvious to me how useful Medic would be when acting through a melee subclass, or as a heavily invested in subclass to a different front-line class.
`/\ |\ | | \ `-|- `|_| |-_|) |-_`|` `|` |)
/--\ | \| | / ` | `|` | |_ |\ |_` |__| ` |\
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: YoruWestwood

YoruWestwood
2 weeks ago#6
There's no real advantage to gain from having Medic in the front. Your mace skills will deal full damage, but you don't use those for damage anyway. When healing isn't needed, Medic has Star Drop to increase the damage of the rest of the party against one enemy, or Heavy Strike/Knockout Blow if you have nothing better to do.

Medic sub Landshark's biggest benefit is Vanguard, but that only matters if you want to outspeed a Vanguarding Landshark for Star Drop. Medic can be made naturally faster than everything else with Velocity Choker, and then AGI boots, AGI dagger, or AGI staff as needed. Power/Mind Break are alright, but never really needed.

Medic can sub Runemaster for Fire/Ice/Volt Rune. They can boost elemental damage for your party or reduce incoming elemental damage. Star Drop + Fire/Ice/Volt Rune is the biggest damage increase a single character can provide for elemental damage dealers, though that's more for FOEs and bosses.

Medic sub Dancer gives Medic plenty of dances to use when healing isn't required. D/M is generally better, since the dances last an additional 3 turns, but M/D has a potential place in aggressive parties. If you kill things quickly then the additional dance turn durations don't matter, and M/D Star Drop + Attack Tango provides a larger damage boost for the damage dealers that aren't in the same row as the Medic.

Medic can sub Arcanist and basically play the same as A/M. Your infliction rates will be quite a bit lower, but if you have other means to deal with randoms then that doesn't matter much. Neither M/A or A/M is going to be reliably landing binds/ailments against bosses. In exchange for lower infliction rates, M/A has a stronger Star Drop + Atrophic Eye compared to A/M.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
  3. How important is Medic early on?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A