• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
  3. Runemaster: Runic Gleam vs. Guidance vs. Flare?

User Info: JohnJSal

JohnJSal
2 months ago#1
Currently I'm at 3/6 on both Gleam and Guidance, and 4/10 on Flare. I have 6 points left to allocate. I could max both Gleam and Guidance, or just Flare, or some combination of them. Suggestions?

User Info: YoruWestwood

YoruWestwood
2 months ago#2
Runic Guidance is a better investment than Runic Flare, not only because the gain per SP is higher on average for Runic Guidance, but also because due to diminishing returns, a single large increase is favored more than multiple smaller increases. The only downside of Runic Guidance is that it's only in effect if targeting a weakness. This doesn't matter for bosses, since you'll be setting up Fire/Ice/Volt Rune, This doesn't matter too much for random encounters, since most enemies either have a weakness or are going to die regardless.

Runic Gleam is only really worth using if you're not using your Runemaster for Fire/Ice/Volt Rune. You'll deal more damage overall by using only one of the buffs and then attacking. If you're using Fire/Ice/Volt Rune on your Runemaster already, then you can skip any extra points in Runic Gleam. I'd max Runic Guidance and then throw the rest into Runic Flare.

JohnJSal
2 months ago#3
Thank you so much! Usually for FOEs and bosses I try to use both the debuff runes and Runic Gleam, but I'll cut out Runic Gleam if that's more of a waste of a turn.

due to diminishing returns, a single large increase is favored more than multiple smaller increases

Interesting. What I've been doing for something like my L/B, which has Power Boost in both classes, is alternating the points since you get more value from the early points. So currently I'm at 3/8 (L) and 3/5 (B). Should I have just maxed one first, instead of doing it this way? Or does it not matter much in this case?

User Info: YoruWestwood

YoruWestwood
2 months ago#4
It doesn't really matter much in either case. It's a lot closer in the case of double Power Boost, since the lower levels give more of a boost per SP than higher levels. Maxing one or splitting your SP across both are basically the same.

JohnJSal
2 months ago#5
Thanks again! Pretty sure I'm out of skill point questions now! :)
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
  3. Runemaster: Runic Gleam vs. Guidance vs. Flare?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A