• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
  3. Who used manual mapping for the whole game?

User Info: JohnJSal

JohnJSal
2 months ago#1
I was actually a little surprised to see that auto-mapping was turned on by default, so I used that for the Old Forest Mine, but then I decided to try manual mapping. I was pretty sure I'd be turning auto-mapping back on pretty quickly, but I ended up really liking the mapping aspect of the game, so I've been doing manual mapping the whole time so far!

I read that auto-mapping in the newer games does the floor *and* the walls, which is nice, but I'm not so sure I'm going to be using that! :)

What does everyone else prefer?

User Info: aturf

aturf
2 months ago#2
I like auto-mapping for floors; when there are branching paths it helps me keep track of which ones I've gone down and which ones I haven't (plus it's a pain to color in all the path floors, but I do manually put in colors for hazard/water/lava tiles).

As far as walls go I prefer to draw them in manually; auto-walls makes the whole "oh I'm just wandering around aimlessly until I find the stairs" feeling a lot more noticeable. Also part of the quintessential EO experience is drawing a wall where there's actually a path and getting stuck for days because "where am I supposed to go??", but that could also just be a me thing.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Sandor_Clause

Sandor_Clause
2 months ago#3
I use the floor fill-in, since it's the level of automatic mapping that I'm fine with. It's largely pointless to do it yourself since you can see how you're moving relative to the map anyway. I do enjoy the sections where you're completely blind though, like the shrine forest in EO3. It's nice to have to actually pay attention and map accurately. Much more rewarding that way.

You really like making threads, eh? Not that I'm complaining; these boards are almost dead aside from when a new player wants party advice.
(edited 2 months ago)

JohnJSal
2 months ago#4
aturf posted...
Also part of the quintessential EO experience is drawing a wall where there's actually a path and getting stuck for days because "where am I supposed to go??", but that could also just be a me thing.

That may have happened to me a few times... :)

JohnJSal
2 months ago#5
Sandor_Clause posted...
I use the floor fill-in, since it's the level of automatic mapping that I'm fine with. It's largely pointless to do it yourself since you can see how you're moving relative to the map anyway. I do enjoy the sections where you're completely blind though, like the shrine forest in EO3. It's nice to have to actually pay attention and map accurately. Much more rewarding that way.

You really like making threads, eh? Not that I'm complaining; these boards are almost dead aside from when a new player wants party advice.

lol, yeah, when I get into a new game (and really enjoy it) I tend to go overboard! I'm surprised people even check this board anymore. How do you know that new threads are posted? Do you just check in manually every now and then?

User Info: SapphireOfChaos

SapphireOfChaos
2 months ago#6
There's a setting to tag boards to be notified when new posts/topics are created.
3DS: 1590-4884-9269 | Switch: SW-3337-1639-7884
Discord link: https://discord.gg/hDQ6rWb | ''I reject your wit and substitute my own.'' - guwa

JohnJSal
2 months ago#7
SapphireOfChaos posted...
There's a setting to tag boards to be notified when new posts/topics are created.

Well, that makes sense! I guess I never found that setting!

User Info: Sandor_Clause

Sandor_Clause
2 months ago#8
You can add boards to your list of favorites and look at the date of the latest post as well.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
  3. Who used manual mapping for the whole game?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A