• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
  3. Does Fortress really receive damage mitigation in the back row?

User Info: JohnJSal

JohnJSal
2 months ago#1
I've read people recommending the Fortress in the back row because of a supposed damage reduction, but I'm wondering how that works with this fact (quoted from the Skills guide):

Shield skills, when determining damage to the user, will consider the user to be in the front row, regardless of the user's position.

If I use Party Shield in the back row, for example, would the damage be the same as if I had been in the front row?

User Info: YoruWestwood

YoruWestwood
2 months ago#2
Fortress will take the same damage regardless of row when using Ally/Line/Party Shield, as the skill guide states. Outside of those skills, Fortress will take reduced damage from melee attacks if in the back row, same as everyone else. If Taunt is redirecting attacks to a Fortress in the back row, then you'll benefit from damage reduction if applicable.

JohnJSal
2 months ago#3
YoruWestwood posted...
Fortress will take the same damage regardless of row when using Ally/Line/Party Shield, as the skill guide states. Outside of those skills, Fortress will take reduced damage from melee attacks if in the back row, same as everyone else. If Taunt is redirecting attacks to a Fortress in the back row, then you'll benefit from damage reduction if applicable.

Thanks! That's a good distinction to be aware of!

Edit: One clarification: is the reduced damage just from basic attacks, or any kind of physical attack/skill?
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: SapphireOfChaos

SapphireOfChaos
2 months ago#4
Melee *attacks, specifically. Ranged attacks receive no penalty for attacking backrow.
3DS: 1590-4884-9269 | Switch: SW-3337-1639-7884
Discord link: https://discord.gg/hDQ6rWb | ''I reject your wit and substitute my own.'' - guwa
(edited 2 months ago)

JohnJSal
2 months ago#5
SapphireOfChaos posted...
Melee *attacks, specifically. Ranged attacks receive no penalty for attacking backrow.

But what is meant by "melee," exactly? Is that any physical attack, including special skills? Or just a regular attack? What about melee attacks that deal elemental damage?

User Info: YoruWestwood

YoruWestwood
2 months ago#6
Skills can be either melee or ranged. Physical attacks tend to be melee and elemental attacks tend to be ranged, but neither is a hard rule. There are ranged physical attacks and melee elemental attacks. You can check the enemy guide if you want to know if a specific skill is melee or ranged.

User Info: aturf

aturf
2 months ago#7
Since it hasn't been mentioned, one advantage of putting the Fortress in the back (to the far right) when using party shield is that they'll eat hits for everyone else before their own hit, so even if they can only take 4 hits before dropping the rest of the party is still protected (granted F is dead but hey everyone else survived). In case that doesn't make sense, if your setup is

1 2 3
4 F

And the Fortress dies shielding 4 from a party-wide attack, then there isn't a 5th hit (whereas if you swap F & 4 then F dies on its own hit and 4 still gets hit). Same idea for Line shield and the far right of the front row.

JohnJSal
2 months ago#8
aturf posted...
Since it hasn't been mentioned, one advantage of putting the Fortress in the back (to the far right) when using party shield is that they'll eat hits for everyone else before their own hit, so even if they can only take 4 hits before dropping the rest of the party is still protected (granted F is dead but hey everyone else survived). In case that doesn't make sense, if your setup is

1 2 3
4 F

And the Fortress dies shielding 4 from a party-wide attack, then there isn't a 5th hit (whereas if you swap F & 4 then F dies on its own hit and 4 still gets hit). Same idea for Line shield and the far right of the front row.

Good to know! Thanks!

User Info: Thard_Verad

Thard_Verad
2 months ago#9
Also if the Fort is in position 3, don't put a squishy character like a NS in position 2. If the Fort draws an attack with splash damage, you'll want someone a bit meatier to soak up the extra damage. NS on 1, Landy on 2, Fort on 3.
"Many in harmony surpass one in perfection." - Guildmaster, Etrian Odyssey II

JohnJSal
2 months ago#10
Thard_Verad posted...
Also if the Fort is in position 3, don't put a squishy character like a NS in position 2. If the Fort draws an attack with splash damage, you'll want someone a bit meatier to soak up the extra damage. NS on 1, Landy on 2, Fort on 3.

Good point. I already realized that when a FOE has a pierce attack, don't put Fortress in 3 and my A/M in 5! Of course, there was one pierce attack that hit 3 and 4, so that was weird.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
  3. Does Fortress really receive damage mitigation in the back row?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A