• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
  3. Should Nightseeker max two throws?

User Info: JohnJSal

JohnJSal
2 months ago#1
I'm doing the N/A build with Venom Throw maxed, but sometimes I read that another throw should be maxed too. Is this for any special reason other than to have a backup to poison?

Which is the best one to max after Venom Throw?

User Info: Thard_Verad

Thard_Verad
2 months ago#2
I'd probably go with Sand Throw. A blind character has greatly reduced accuracy and cannot dodge. This means all your less-than-perfect-accuracy attacks will always hit. Let loose with Swift Edge and Squall Volley!

Nerve Throw is also good, but it relies on RNG. If the enemy is fully paralyzed, they can't attack or dodge for that turn. Otherwise they'll act normally.

Sleep Throw might cost the opponent one turn and interrupt their pattern, but it's easy to wake them up.
Curse Throw should only be used if you're crazy enough to try for a conditional drop ... and stingy enough to not use Formaldehyde.
"Many in harmony surpass one in perfection." - Guildmaster, Etrian Odyssey II

User Info: YoruWestwood

YoruWestwood
2 months ago#3
You can eventually max them all. If you're looking for another throw for random encounters, Sleep Throw is going to be most effective if utilized properly. If you're looking for another throw to attempt to use against bosses/FOEs, then Sand/Nerve/Curse Throw all have their uses based on enemy ailment vulnerabilities. If you're prioritizing one of the three, I'd go with Nerve Throw, since it's the best option after Venom Throw for some of the harder bosses.

A minor note, enemies in EOIV can't dodge while paralyzed, regardless of whether they were fully paralyzed for the turn or not.

JohnJSal
2 months ago#4
Thanks guys! Sounds like Sand or Nerve Throw are my two options. This is mainly for bosses/FOEs, because random encounters are not difficult so far.

I love that enemies can't dodge with either ailment, which is great for Swift Edge. Also, I'm thinking that perhaps blind may be better than paralyze, because in the case of multi-hit attacks, it's all or nothing with paralyze, whereas with blind there's a separate chance for the enemy to miss with each attack, right?

I may go with blind. Anything I'm not considering here? Or is the chance for missing an entire turn better than missing with some attacks? Decisions, decisions......
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: YoruWestwood

YoruWestwood
2 months ago#5
Blind is better for stopping not only multi-hit attacks, but attacks in general, since the chance of an attack missing under blind is higher than the chance of being fully paralyzed. Paralyze is better when the boss buffing or debuffing or else doing anything that isn't an attack, since blind does nothing in that scenario. Both are better in different situations. The distinction also matters less since some of the actions eaten up by the ailments wouldn't have changed the overall outcome of the battle anyway. Both do their job. The most important factor in deciding between them is which one is easier to apply, which varies from boss to boss.

User Info: mynameisrocket

mynameisrocket
2 months ago#6
What Westy said - different ailments for different resists. Sometimes you're looking for the ailment effect itself, but in general you just want something to stick to get the NS proficiency bonus going.
It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we've got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50 year old Vault 13 jumpsuit. Let's hit it.

JohnJSal
2 months ago#7
Thanks guys!

P.S. I finally unlocked Bushi, so I'm about to go rest my L and R and subclass them!
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
  3. Should Nightseeker max two throws?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A