• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
  3. Is there some ideal way to cast buffs so you get the three you want?

User Info: JohnJSal

JohnJSal
2 months ago#1
The main thing I'm thinking of here is when I use one of the R's rune skills to debuff a monster, because this also puts a buff on each party member. One thing I read that makes F/D a good combination is that after Taunt/Rampart, the F still has a slot open for a dance, but using a rune seems to mess this up. And usually the rune buff ends up in the middle of the three buffs, so I don't think it would be the one to be overwritten first.

Is there something I'm missing about how buffs are applied or removed, or a certain order things should be done in?

Thanks!

User Info: YoruWestwood

YoruWestwood
2 months ago#2
The simplest way is to only use three buffs. Taunt is no longer needed once you have Party Shield, and Fortress can usually do her job without needing Rampart. If you do want to use more than 3 buffs, then you'll need to keep in mind that the buff that falls off is the one with the lowest turn count left, and then the one closest to the bottom in the case of a tie. If Runemaster applies her buff first, then it'll be pretty much always be the first buff to fall off. Taunt is really the only thing that'll outspeed Runemaster buffs, so if you do feel the need to use Taunt, then you could use it second.

It can also help to make your Runemaster faster. Runemaster can dual wield daggers, since they have the largest speed modifier, and can still focus all forge slots and an accessory towards boosting damage. Armor doesn't actually do much in this game, so it can be worth it to ditch armor and run some AGI boots as well, if you want to be as fast as possible without sacrificing damage.

JohnJSal
2 months ago#3
Thanks! I didn't know that was how the buffs were removed. And it didn't even occur to me that Taunt and Party Shield are redundant! But Party Shield is pretty expensive to use every turn.

I also have Strike/Element Guard, which don't see much use anymore. I may get rid of those when I rest, because they sometimes mess up the buffing too.

User Info: Thard_Verad

Thard_Verad
2 months ago#4
Know thy enemy, know thyself, and you hold the keys to victory. Party Shield shouldn't be necessary every turn. Ally Shield or Line Shield are usually good enough. If you disable or destroy dangerous monsters quickly, guarding the party becomes less of a hassle. Bosses have patterns, so as you learn them you'll know what turns to use what Shield.
"Many in harmony surpass one in perfection." - Guildmaster, Etrian Odyssey II

User Info: SapphireOfChaos

SapphireOfChaos
2 months ago#5
Plus once you get tankier, get the damage-nulling passives F/D can get access to, and enemies start throwing out the multi-hits, frontrow Forts can use their Profiency line of passives to regenerate pretty much all the TP they use and more with Party Shield, lol.
3DS: 1590-4884-9269 | Switch: SW-3337-1639-7884
Discord link: https://discord.gg/hDQ6rWb | ''I reject your wit and substitute my own.'' - guwa

JohnJSal
2 months ago#6
SapphireOfChaos posted...
Plus once you get tankier, get the damage-nulling passives F/D can get access to, and enemies start throwing out the multi-hits, frontrow Forts can use their Profiency line of passives to regenerate pretty much all the TP they use and more with Party Shield, lol.

Ooh, good point! That sounds cool!

JohnJSal
2 months ago#7
Thard_Verad posted...
Know thy enemy, know thyself, and you hold the keys to victory. Party Shield shouldn't be necessary every turn. Ally Shield or Line Shield are usually good enough. If you disable or destroy dangerous monsters quickly, guarding the party becomes less of a hassle. Bosses have patterns, so as you learn them you'll know what turns to use what Shield.

Ah yes, paying attention to boss patterns isn't always my strong point, but I probably should in this game! :)
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
  3. Is there some ideal way to cast buffs so you get the three you want?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A