• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
  3. 1-(512)-493-4600... Retro's phone number

User Info: Ryu_bread

Ryu_bread
9 years ago#1
I had some free time Friday and called Retro studios regarding the absence of the Kremlings and K. Rool and got a somewhat decent answer (transcribed from the recording; the beginning and end was cut off due to the 30s cap, but I remembered most of it):

"The main reason why the classic Kremling enemies and their leader from the classic trio will be absent from this iteration of the series is due to Miyamoto-san's guidance. He felt that the series needed to be refreshed with a more Nintendo guidance[sic]."

I then asked if there was a chance they could add them last minute, only to have the rep respond "There'd have to be a large enough outcry, but so far we have seen enough positivity from fans of all ranges without their inclusion that it would be like there's no need to go back to them, ya know?"

He seemed to be aggravated at that point, so I thanked him for his time and told him I was shocked that he was even willing to give me such a thorough-enough answer.

So, there you have it. The Retro Studios rep pretty much spelled it out for us. If you want the "Krocs" to return, we have to make a "scene", which I'm assuming is an email bombardment or by phone.

No wonder why SEGA delayed Sonic 4 and finally decided to give Sonic black eyes and a stubbier body. Fans can make a difference, and we still have 6 months until this game releases.

User Info: HylianMoogle

HylianMoogle
9 years ago#2
Sadly there are not enough of us true DKC fans to make a difference. We are far outnumbered by these new casual fans.
Blah blah blah... Tidal Wave!

User Info: Shed_a_Ninja

Shed_a_Ninja
9 years ago#3
The last time that fans had an outcry over a character (or characters) that didn't appear, at least a nod was given. And that, my friends, was Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing and the NiGHTS fanbase, and it worked. NiGHTS (the character) became a flag waver at the finish line. Hopefully if we do this, we'll get King K. Rool as a special final boss.

I doubt many people know who Big the cat is.~The 1 Don, after waking up from a 20-year coma.

User Info: CackIetta

CackIetta
9 years ago#4
Everybody! Grab your torch and pitchforks!
Whoa!!!! - SourlDieseL

User Info: Seca Verins

Seca Verins
9 years ago#5
This is getting ridiculous.
Diamond Friend Code:
Morte 5412 7020 6206

User Info: TheloPronoeo

TheloPronoeo
9 years ago#6
Yeah, even if they were in as a secret boss, do you really think that retro would honestly tell you something that they might want to keep secret? No, they wouldn't.

User Info: eco master

eco master
9 years ago#7
What is this, people getting worked up over a phone call that may not have even happened?

Seriously, the enemies look different, and that's what people are getting worked up about? I'd imagine "true DKC fans" as HylianMoogle puts them, to be more concerned about the gameplay remaining true to the past DKC games. Already, we know DK and Diddy have two health bits. Why aren't "true DKC fans" fussing about that? DKC was difficult because if a player got hit, that character was gone until the player reached a DK barrel.

I recently got done playing through the classics myself. I don't care if I'm stomping on alligators, tikis, or unicorns. Just keep the gameplay true to the originals and I'll be very satisfied.
http://www.909090909.net/
also did i just do a flip and landed on my head-NathanCopeland

User Info: TheloPronoeo

TheloPronoeo
9 years ago#8
What is this, people getting worked up over a phone call that may not have even happened?

Seriously, the enemies look different, and that's what people are getting worked up about? I'd imagine "true DKC fans" as HylianMoogle puts them, to be more concerned about the gameplay remaining true to the past DKC games. Already, we know DK and Diddy have two health bits. Why aren't "true DKC fans" fussing about that? DKC was difficult because if a player got hit, that character was gone until the player reached a DK barrel.

I recently got done playing through the classics myself. I don't care if I'm stomping on alligators, tikis, or unicorns. Just keep the gameplay true to the originals and I'll be very satisfied.

Yeah, the fact that people are getting upset over the fact that we have new enemies instead of other gameplay elements is kinda silly. One of the first things I noticed when watching the trailer was the fact that they had hearts that was basically a health bar. Since when was that apart of the DKC series? it's like you said, that's one of the things that made those game hard, the fact that if you had two hits, you had to start over unless you could find a DK barrel before your second hit.

User Info: NinjaPwnage

NinjaPwnage
9 years ago#9
While Kremlings were funny villains like the small pirate kremling whole ordered oversized cutlass on his small TV screen, I don't mind new enemies enough to bother calling in or emailing.

Also I am one of those fans from the DKC era, but I don't mind having extra hits or watermelon life bars or whatever. IMO those days of frustrations from dying in one hit are over, it doesn't help the casual gamer. The gameplay aspect I want to keep most is the fast pace style of DKC, precision platforming, barrle blast, vine swing, mine cart etc. And it looks like DKCR will deliver.

But then I'm still feeling the after effects of beating Ninja Gaiden 2 on Master Ninja, I'd rather not play difficult grab your balls and squeeze them hard games for a while.
My Fav Then(NES) and Now(this Gen) Characters in alphabetical order
Ryu Hayabusa, Samus Aran, Solid Snake

User Info: lizard81288

lizard81288
9 years ago#10
or how its no longer has tag based gameplay either
:(
"Shawn is the definition of freakin amazing, another name for cool kid . "
-urban dictionary
  1. Boards
  2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
  3. 1-(512)-493-4600... Retro's phone number