• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. From Dust
  3. Challenge Mode - How's your progress?

User Info: Ahlyis

Ahlyis
8 years ago#21
Jesus. That's brilliant!

I knew I had to be missing something. I kept telling myself I should check the videos, but never did it for that level. I've watched most of the others.

And yeah, Atlantis is a real *****! I downloaded the Xbox360 version last night because I wondered what kind of times they have there. My 14 minute overall time wouldn't even be on the first page (though it would be close). The top overall time there is a little over 8 minutes!!!

But back to Atlantis... I was trying to do it again on the 360 and not quite getting it. I'm so glad I managed it on the PS3 version without too much trouble. I got lucky.

One thing I noticed though is that there is a definite difference between the 360 and PS3 versions. On the level "The Big Wave" I typically call the guy, grab a load of dirt, build the path across the water barrier, grab another load at the second village and build a path across the channel to the third village. I do it that way instead of making a path through the prickly plants because it is faster to complete your work. On the PS3 version, the guy makes it to the 3rd village with some time to spare. On the 360 version, I had to do the level over and over because the guy got to the third village right at the same time as the wave. Several times I had the repel water knowledge get passed to the village right as the challenge failed.

I'm not sure what the difference is. Whether the layout is slightly different, the path finding works differently, the guys run slightly slower on the 360 version, the knowledge passes quicker on the PS3 version, some combination of the above or possibly something else altogether. No idea what the difference is. But I do know that there is certainly a slight difference. It probably doesn't even matter on the other levels. But it makes a difference on "The Big Wave" if you use the approach that I do.
I'm just a pigment of your imagination.

Ahlyis
8 years ago#22
I no longer try The Big Wave that way, it's not the "quick" way to do the level.

I've put together a Challenge Mode specific FAQ which I'll submit to GameFAQs tonight (if I remember when I get home). It contains the methods I used for all the levels.

I got my PS3 and 360 overall times down pretty low. The biggest difference between the two is Atlantis. I can't even come close to that 47 second time I managed. So my 360 total is about 80 seconds slower just on that one level. It's a few seconds here and there on other levels. Even so, I'm pretty happy with my overall times on both systems now.

In the FAQ, I also list my times and placement (as of the time I wrote the FAQ) for both systems. Not surprisingly, I have a lower rank on the 360 even on levels where I have basically the exact same time on both systems. There's just been so many more players on the 360 version than the PS3, no doubt due to the game coming out a couple months earlier on the 360.

Ahlyis
8 years ago#23
The Challenge Mode Guide has been submitted. Unless they decide there's a problem with it, it should be up in a day or two (once the content review is done).

My PS3 time is down to 11 minutes 10 seconds now. But I'm not sure where to find another 10 seconds. I've been trying and trying to shave even partial seconds off on some of the levels. I'd love to find 70 seconds I could shave off and get the total under 10 minutes. But that doesn't seem likely at this point. There's about 4 overall times on the 360 that are under 10 minutes, so I know it is possible. I'm just not sure I'm willing to put quite that much effort into it. Getting my time down where it is has already pushed my skills near their limit.

I think the most likely place to shave time is Deadly Crossing. David 0wns time on that level is sub 35 seconds, though his video doesn't actually come close to that. I'm using a different method than he does. VERY different. But if his 35 second time really came from the method he uses in the video, then I should be able to get an even lower time since my method requires less work, I think. But so far, my best time there is 46 seconds. Perhaps I should play with that more. I know time can be saved there, but your villagers seem to be particularly moronic about their pathfinding on that level.

Ahlyis
8 years ago#24
I got my time under the 11 minute mark. It's about 10:52 right now. And I did it on levels other than Deadly Crossing. I still think there's time to be had there, I just haven't had luck getting it so far. I've definitely had runs that would've been faster, but the idiots refused to cross perfectly solid ground.

Ahlyis
8 years ago#25
I think I'm done now. And nobody is responding here with their own stories anyway.

I got my PS3 time down near 10.5 minutes, but trying to get it under 10 minutes seems a bit much. I got my 360 time under 11 minutes. Both are very solid times and I think I'm pretty much done with From Dust now.

Have fun everyone (assuming anyone even reads this).

Ahlyis
8 years ago#26
I was at 10:33. I checked yesterday and saw that flux had passed me by 1 second.

My time is now 10:18. :-)

User Info: Flux131

Flux131
8 years ago#27
I'm now back in 1st, at 10:08 :-)

Just working on those last few seconds to get under 10 minutes.

Ahlyis
8 years ago#28
I'll probably have to try again, but I'll tell you this, if I get it under 10 minutes, I'm done. If you pass me after that for 1st, you can keep it. Of course, I first have to find where I can get another 18 seconds from.

I'm pretty sure there's another 5 seconds available with my method on Deadly Crossing. But the pathfinding there is annoying.

I think there's probably 7 seconds possible on Running in the Rain, but the pathfinding there is even more annoying. The worst part is that I had a run early on in my attempts that got 4 of the first 7 to the totem, but the rest all ended up drowning. Since that run, I've tried over and over and can't seem to get more than 3 of the first 7 across. It's rare enough that 1 of the remaining 3 makes it across without help. Hoping that 2 of them will is an exercise in futility.

Atlantis could be done, but I hate that level sooooo much. Probably 3-5 seconds there though.

There's some time available on Migration. I think your time is about 3 or 4 seconds faster than mine is. I might need to try that one some more. Waterfall is another where my time is 3-4 seconds slower, but that one baffles me how you got that time. You had to have dropped the water while he was still in the village. Every time I try that, the village repels the water every which way.

At any rate, congrats on getting your time down to 10:08. It doesn't seem like anyone else is willing to challenge us. Of course, there's the times on the 360 board. We'd be top 5 with these times there, but 1st place is under NINE minutes!!! That's just insane!

User Info: Flux131

Flux131
8 years ago#29
Just beat the 10 minute barrier, now sitting happy at 09:59 :-)

For waterfall I just waited until he left the village around the 38 second point then dumped the water in one go on him. I was able to achieve that sort of time every go, but havn't touched that challenge for a while, and now can't seem to get that time again.

I hate Sacrifice and Irony I can see there's room for improvement, but I just can't do any better with those.

Theres at least another 4 seconds for you in The Decent, I might revisit it as I think my time on that could also be reduced.

Cant beleive theres only 6 players with a sub 20 second time, you're right no one seems to be challenging us.
  1. Boards
  2. From Dust
  3. Challenge Mode - How's your progress?
  • Topic Archived