• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. From Dust
  3. Challenge Mode - How's your progress?

User Info: Ahlyis

Ahlyis
8 years ago#1
I know it's early and the game hasn't been out for long, but this morning I managed to push my overall score into first place. There's only one level currently that I'm ranked outside the top 100, and I plan to remedy that tonight.

I know that as more people buy and play the game, my scores are likely to fall. But for the moment, I'm pretty happy being in first overall. I also have one individual top ranking and several 2nds and 3rds.

It was fun watching my score move up as I finished off levels. I was watching one other player moving up at the same time. He got done before me, but now sits in 4th overall. I also noticed that, after I put up the top time on Epic Tsunamis, almost half a minute faster than 3rd place, Fiegling came in and tried to take it from me. He got past second, but is still a second or so behind me. (Again, all this is likely to change as more people play).

So, where are you at? Stuck on a few of the challenges? Just starting? Done and who gives a **** about how quickly anyway?
I'm just a pigment of your imagination.

Ahlyis
8 years ago#2
I was looking at the FAQ by Jallen9000. Specifically the Challenges section. There's a few challenges which he mentions some tactics I missed. I'll have to give them a try tonight. But there's also several challenges where his advice may work, but is far from optimal if you want a high ranking score.

Also, I noticed he doesn't have a tips and tactics section, which could be helpful. Things like...

As the level is loading, hold the left stick in the direction you want to move as the level starts. After the level loads, but before the start screen appears, there's a fraction of a second where the breath can be moved. It's not a huge amount, but when going for the top scores, every little bit helps.

Another thing which should be mentioned is the time bonus and how it is calculated. Just from my own observations it appears that the primary factor is how much "work" you actually did. The less you use powers, the higher your bonus.

That is just a general guideline. And I think some challenges have other things they look at as well. But as a general rule of thumb, use your powers only as much as you absolutely must and not an ounce more.

User Info: kosher

kosher
8 years ago#3
my overall rank is 92, I'm confused on how the hell poeple get such fast times on challenges....like the first one....Fire...how do you get it in 16 seconds?..thats crazy

Ahlyis
8 years ago#4
kosher posted...
my overall rank is 92, I'm confused on how the hell poeple get such fast times on challenges....like the first one....Fire...how do you get it in 16 seconds?..thats crazy

At the start, head straight into the water and scoop a bunch up. Head to the top of the line of fire and drops a good portion. Pull back slightly as you do so that your water forms a sheet that will flow down over all the fire. Then head to the little bit of fire to the left of the volcano and douse it with the rest of the water (or just grab more if you need to). Poof. Done in under 15 seconds BEFORE any bonus is applied.

If anyone wants to know my methods for any of the other levels, feel free to ask.

kosher
8 years ago#5
ahh I see now that bonus time makes up for alot...I know have that one down to 5 seconds and I am ranked like 11 with that one...1st has it at .83 of a second....jeez....

I'm now ranked like 15 overall

kosher
8 years ago#6
I'm now number 9

Ahlyis
8 years ago#7
I was ranked #1, but I suspect when I get home tonight I'll find that, at a minimum, Jakky (sp?) has finished all 30 challenges and is now ranked #1. His (her?) times on the levels he had completed as of last night were just crazy low overall.

As for the bonus time, I know the primary factor for it, but there has to be something more that affects it on some levels.

The primary factor is how quickly you are "done". By that, I mean how quickly you finish whatever "work" you need to do and then sit back and watch the rest of the level play out.

For example, Collapse. Grab lava and lay down the path. You can do this in 10 to 15 seconds (or even less). Click on the totem to call the villagers and then you just sit back and wait for a few minutes for the level to finish. The bonus time at the end will take off all but the time it took you to get things set up.

On the other hand, there's a few levels where the top score is something insane. For example, Guardian Angel's top score is 0.02 seconds, which basically says they started the level and didn't do ANYTHING. But not doing anything will NOT complete that level. So either they hacked the game, there was a glitch in their scoring, or there's something more than simply how fast you are "done". I actually suspect it was a glitch in their scoring, but have no proof one way or another.

Ahlyis
8 years ago#8
Actually, I have a theory how you actually "could" do Guardian Angel in 0.02 seconds, but trying to actually pull it off would be nothing more than an exercise in futility. (Except it looks like maybe someone actually did do it. *shrugs*)

When the level starts, it actually already started before you press "X" to start the level!

During the load, you'll hear a tone and the screen will go black for a second or two before the level comes up. You can actually move around and activate abilities during that time.

Holding down the direction you want to move and pressing "Square" to speed up will get you close to the totem you need to move, but not all the way there. But that's how you do it when trying for sub-2 second runs.

But you theoretically could press R1 to zoom out, hold the direction, press Square to speed up, grab the totem and immediately head to the place and drop it off. Then just press X to start the level once it comes up and you're already done.

The problem is, you have to be perfect with your timing and actions and you have to do all of it while the screen is completely black!

I can believe the speed is there when zoomed out and holding Square, but grabbing the Totem? I have trouble grabbing the totem when I can see and I'm NOT zooming about. I can't imagine being good/lucky enough to do it as I described above!

Ahlyis
8 years ago#9
Now that I'm thinking about it, it's stuck in my head and I think I'll have to give it at least a cursory try tonight.

Ahlyis
8 years ago#10
I was wrong. It's not Guardian Angel that has the 0.02 top score. I forget which level it is. Guardian Angel's top score was 0.30 by Jakkyy1 as of last night.

I gave it my best effort and managed to get my own time down to 0.41, and I can certainly see where lower times are possible, but even getting it down to 0.41 took more effort than it was probably worth. The precision required to grab the totem is insane. The Breath has to be perfectly over the center of the totem. Even a hair off to the side and you can't grab the totem. This makes it exceedingly difficult to post sub 1 second times.

When I got home last night, Jakkyy1 had 27 of the 30 challenges done. But that turned into 28 pretty soon after I got on. It was still at 28 the last time I checked. But while I pushed my time down close to the 20 minute mark for all 30 levels, Jakkyy1's time for the 28 he had done was under 12 minutes. The two levels he had left (Sacrifice and Wagons) should only add about 3 minutes, at most, to his time once he finishes them. His total time for all 30 challenges is going to be under 15 minutes most likely! That's pretty insane.

I'm still working on it, but I'm not sure I'll ever get mine down to 15 minutes. I expect to get it under 20 for sure, but 15?

On a brighter note (for my self esteem anyway), when I got home last night and checked, Jakky1 had posted better times than me on EVERY level other than the 2 he still has to complete. But by the end of the night, I'd managed to wrest about half a dozen away from him. I also worked on Sacrifice a good deal and finally posted a time that is significantly better than second place is (was?).

I haven't watched the video by David 0wns for Sacrifice yet. He has a sub 1 minute run there while the time I posted is about 1 minute 14 seconds. David's runs were done on the 360 version, so his commentary reflects that controller. But his tactics apply just fine to the PS3 version. I admit that I have shamelessly "borrowed" his tactics on several levels in order to improve my times, sometimes significantly so.
  1. Boards
  2. From Dust
  3. Challenge Mode - How's your progress?
  • Topic Archived