• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Michael Jackson The Experience
  3. Signed up specifically to warn everyone...

User Info: MichaelJacksonE

MichaelJacksonE
8 years ago#1
Incredibly disappointing to write this... this game was the only reason I bought the Kinect. Saw it at a Best Buy demo a couple of weeks ago and bought everything. Thankfully, I really like the Kinect (Dance Central especially) and bought MJE the second Best Buy opened yesterday. This version is TOTALLY gimped. Would any of you bought this had you known the following?

There's only 15 songs you can "Dance Only" to:

Bad. Beat it.
Billie Jean
Black or white Blood on the dance Floor
Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough
Ghosts
In The Closet
Money
Remember the time
Rock with you.
Smooth criminal
Sunset Driver
They don't care about us
Thriller

And that's not the worst part. You can only do it on "easy". That's right, there's no way to up the difficulty. The dance only versions are completely dumbed down. To be able to dance the moves closer to what is on the Wii? You have to sing in what they've called the "master performance" - the catch? THERE'S ONLY 9 SONGS that even HAVE that option. NINE:

Bad
Beat it
Billie Jean
Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough
Remember the time
Rock with you
Smooth criminal
They don't care about us
Thriller

I am FLOORED at how much of an opportunity was missed here. The game looks incredible. The projection technology is amazing, the tracking is perfect - and they took the lazy way out. No difficulty settings? No option to "just" dance on ALL the songs? They only did the REAL MJ moves on NINE tracks? And those tracks you have NO CHOICE but to sing on?

An absolute rip-off. I cannot believe it got released like this. And here are all the tracks that you can't "just dance" to. You have to stop multiple times in the middle and sing a completely broken karaoke game that doesn't track pitch and misses words you've sung (even with a rockband microphone) to an incredibly annoying degree:

Dirty Diana
Earth Song (Sing Only)
Heal The World (Sing Only)
I just can't stop loving you (Sing Only)
Leave Me Alone
Speed Demon
Stranger in Moscow
Streetwalker
The Girl is Mine (Sing Only)
The Way You Make me Feel
Wanna Be Starting Something
Who Is It
Will You Be There (Sing Only)
Working Day and Night

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Ubisoft - Patch this. Give Dance only options and for the love of MJ let us do it on a difficulty other than 2-star EASY. What a mess.

MichaelJacksonE
8 years ago#2
And don't even get me started on the lack of unlockables or any reason to play through this single-player. Dance Central absolutely buries this. Sooooooooooooooo bummed.

MichaelJacksonE
8 years ago#3
One last thing. Heh. Sorry, need to vent and there's NO coverage online about this:

You don't sing and dance at the same time. Then you'd at least have a full dance routine. They stop everything, have you sing, then go back to dancing. The developers said this was because it was too hard for people to do both at the same time, but in reality - it's just less choreography for them to put into each song. Ugh.

MichaelJacksonE
8 years ago#4
One last thing. Heh. Sorry, need to vent and there's NO coverage online about this:

You don't sing and dance at the same time. Then you'd at least have a full dance routine. They stop everything, have you sing, then go back to dancing. The developers said this was because it was too hard for people to do both at the same time, but in reality - it's just less choreography for them to put into each song. Ugh.

User Info: steveguttenberg

steveguttenberg
8 years ago#5
Guess your review will have to be good enough. Thanks. I nearly bought this yesterday. Very disappointing. So I'll just stick to Dance Central then.

MichaelJacksonE
8 years ago#6
I'm waiting for reviews to see if I somehow missed something. Like there's some special way to make it not suck.

User Info: lilguylover

lilguylover
8 years ago#7
I'm thinking about taking it back....really upset there's no difficulty option and if I want to do the more advanced moves I have to dance and sing....I have no idea why they didn't just make this like the wii version. I was expecting difficulty options with dancing as well as having the singing and a mix of both.

MichaelJacksonE
8 years ago#8
I bought mine at Best Buy that won't take it back opened. I'm kinda screwed.

User Info: papusale

papusale
8 years ago#9
Finally a worthy unbiased review!
I was constantly updating youtube for the latest videos of the game to see the accuracy of the dance moves.
Almost all of the videos where played on normal and the choreography seemed crappy. It's as if they where doing aerobics and some random stuff that never where a part of MJ's dance moves and added a little bit of MJs trademark moves.

Since you carry the burden of owning the game without the ability to return, can you clarify ie. Smooth Criminal's choreography on master performance? Is it even close to the original dance routine?
I take it you really do know MJ dance moves (hence the unbiased and detailed review of yours).

And it would serve as a very big favor if you could upload Smooth Criminal on Master Performance to youtube!!

Cheers!

MichaelJacksonE
8 years ago#10
It starts to be close... and then you stop everything you're doing and sing a verse. Then you jump back into some moves, and then again you completely stop and sing. It's choppy and annoying. And sorry, but the amount of work it would take for me to upload a video is just too much.
  1. Boards
  2. Michael Jackson The Experience
  3. Signed up specifically to warn everyone...
  • Topic Archived