• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Noob Q about region locking.

User Info: PJB-11

PJB-11
1 month ago#1
I am in the UK and considering buying an EU 3DS. I see that 3DS is region-locked.

I've got two old DS games sitting on my shelf, Metroid Hunters and Castlevania DoS and they are both US editions.

Is 3DS region-locked for DS games as well?

Thank you!
PS5 - PSVita - 3DS - Switch

User Info: Sashanan

Sashanan
1 month ago#2
Nope, it's the games themselves that are region locked (3DS) or not (DS). They'll run fine on an EU 3DS.
A gentleman will walk, but never run

PJB-11
1 month ago#3
Wonderful, thank you!

User Info: BlanketPI

BlanketPI
1 month ago#4
Sashanan posted...
Nope, it's the games themselves that are region locked (3DS) or not (DS). They'll run fine on an EU 3DS.
This is mostly accurate. However, DSi-enhanced games are region-locked. The serial number (or whatever you'd call it) on the card tells you whether it is or not. If the first three letters are:
-NTR it's plain DS (not region-locked)
-TWL it's DSi-enhanced (region-locked)
-CTR it's 3DS (region-locked)
-KTR it's n3DS-only (region-locked)

I'm pretty sure both of the games you're talking about are NTR. Don't know for sure about Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, but the Wikipedia page doesn't mention the DSi and it released in 2005. Metroid: Prime Hunters was well before the DSi. Interestingly, there's actually a flag to set region locking, rather than it being inherent. I think there were a few games that were not region locked, despite being TWL/CTR/KTR.
"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable." - G.K. Chesterton
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Sashanan

Sashanan
1 month ago#5
Interesting, didn't know that. Don't have any such games myself. Dawn of Sorrow, at any rate, is plain old vanilla DS, I have it, and it *should* run fine on any 3DS. I technically can't confirm, both the game and my 3DS are US. The serial is NTR-ACVE-USA, anyway. My European DSLite runs it fine, but it would.
A gentleman will walk, but never run
(edited 1 month ago)

PJB-11
1 month ago#6
Good to know, thanks! Yes I think DSi came out after I imported these games. I had the OG DS back in the day.

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
4 weeks ago#7
PJB-11 posted...
I am in the UK and considering buying an EU 3DS. I see that 3DS is region-locked.

I've got two old DS games sitting on my shelf, Metroid Hunters and Castlevania DoS and they are both US editions.

Is 3DS region-locked for DS games as well?

Thank you!

Europe is a region by itself, so none of that is region locked.
UK is included in Europe.
Mind you games like Professor Layton games, some of these were dubbed in other languages, so if you import for example certain Layton games from France, they will have a French dub ONLY, no English voices.

The regions are: United States, Europe and Japan/Asia.
If you never import games from US or Asia, you are fine and do not have to care about any region locking.

And those 2 DS games are not region locked, they will work everywhere.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

PJB-11
4 weeks ago#8
jimi_dini posted...
UK is included in Europe.

I'm aware of that, but thanks for the info... 😉

User Info: BlanketPI

BlanketPI
4 weeks ago#9
jimi_dini posted...
The regions are: United States, Europe and Japan/Asia.
If you never import games from US or Asia, you are fine and do not have to care about any region locking.
Actually, it's more complicated than that. Firstly, South Korea is its own region, as is mainland China. (I'm not clear on whether Hong Kong and Taiwan are grouped with Japan or together form yet another region.) Secondly, there's a lot of countries that belong to either Europe or North America in terms of region locking, and it gets a bit confusing there.

In terms of Europe, we have:
Azerbaijan, Israel, Lesotho, South Africa, and various territories of the United Kingdom and of Denmark, but not part of the Americas (but Greenland is part of Europe here).

In terms of North America, of course we have everything in the Americas (including the Caribbean), but also:
Bahrain, Indonesia, Kuwait, Malaysia, Oman, Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, the UAE, and the Caribbean, South American, and Pacific territories of European countries.

So basically Europe is Europe, European territories stretching out to Greenland and those in northern Africa and the Indian Ocean, South Africa plus the country it surrounds, and Australia and New Zealand, while North American is the Americas, including all of the Caribbean, as well as the middle east, southeast Asia, and the Pacific. Japan is Japan plus possibly Taiwan and Hong Kong. Korea and mainland China get their own regions. While Australia and New Zealand are treated in many respects as their own region, apparently for region locking, it doesn't matter.

Edit: The Taiwan region is separate, so Taiwan + Hong Kong are compatible with each other and no one else unless they support Simplified Chinese, in which case region locking doesn't block them from being played on mainland Chinese consoles.
"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable." - G.K. Chesterton
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: regirafariger

regirafariger
4 weeks ago#10
I can confirm for region locking it doesn't matter re: Australia and New Zealand versus Europe. The same PAL carts will work in consoles sold in Australia / New Zealand as sold in Europe. Australia has its own eshop, but carts marked "AUS" will work in Europe PAL machines, and vice versa.

I'm actually in the USA, but own a hot pink 3DS XL I imported from the UK, and I own a 2DS I bought off of ebay from Australia, I have various carts marked as AUS and EUR, and all work in both.
"We are Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated", said the PittsBorg.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. Noob Q about region locking.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A