• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. any advice and walkthrough recs. for the SMT games?

User Info: RJP_X

RJP_X
1 month ago#1
last time and maybe the final time they went on sale i bought them all besides soul hackers. haven't played any of them yet, and not even sure which to begin with and worried they are hard?

if there's another chance they go on sale might grab soul hackers, the persona q games, and maybe the etrian odyssey games. i enjoyed some of the 1st person dungeon crawlers on vita such as dungeon travelors 2, and mary skelter so might want to give this series a shot at somepoint. although i don't like the idea of using touch screen, i get nervous of scratching the screen and am the most horrible of people at putting screen protectors on devices lol.

anyways, yeah. wondering what kind of walkthroughs you would recommend for the SMT games, general advice on them, and where to start.
https://www.anime-planet.com/users/RJP/anime/watched
Recommend some anime, preferably completed series or in the least, series that feel like they ended well.

User Info: GeekyDad

GeekyDad
1 month ago#2
I recommend staying away from walkthroughs for your first run on any of the SMT games. Truly. But definitely start on the Normal setting, as yeah, generally speaking, they can be difficult, especially for newcomers.

As for where to start, what are you in the mood for? The Devil Survivor games are SRPGs, the PQ games are dungeon crawlers, and SMTIV is a god-like masterpiece of an RPG that is like sipping fine wine. If you purchased SMTIV: Apocalypse, save it for last, so you don't sour yourself on the franchise altogether.

User Info: Revan126

Revan126
1 month ago#3
I agree mostly with GeekyDad, you should try to avoid walkthroughs and just enjoy the experience. I feel SMT IV is a good starting point, as well as a masterpiece of a game, but it can be rather hard and unforgiving when starting out, so don't be afraid to play with the difficulty.

Also, as long as you are using a normal stylus don't be afraid of scratching the screen, they are pretty durable as long as you don't smack them with a stylus like a maniac.

User Info: RJP_X

RJP_X
1 month ago#4
i understand where you're coming from, but me personally, no matter the game. i prefer a guide. that's just my preference. i follow guides pretty much all the way through if i plan on 100%ing, or near close to it when i play games. games like these likely need it.

i like to spend time on games, but also in the most efficient manner if that makes sense.
https://www.anime-planet.com/users/RJP/anime/watched
Recommend some anime, preferably completed series or in the least, series that feel like they ended well.

GeekyDad
1 month ago#5
RJP_X posted...
i understand where you're coming from, but me personally, no matter the game. i prefer a guide. that's just my preference. i follow guides pretty much all the way through if i plan on 100%ing, or near close to it when i play games. games like these likely need it.

i like to spend time on games, but also in the most efficient manner if that makes sense.
Fair enough. Then, you're in the right place. The published guides on GameFAQs are typically really helpful, and you can search threads in the given forum for stuff you might not find specifically.

User Info: sarevokmb

sarevokmb
1 month ago#6
I'd generally try to avoid guides for a first playthough, and just play them through with your own choices. Definitely start with SMT4, but keep in mind that it is actually really tough in the beginning, so don't get discouraged. Save often and don't get frustrated if you die a few times in the first dungeon. The difficulty is actually extremely rewarding, and it is one of those few games that actually makes you feel stronger as you go along, instead of having enemies always keeping pace with you. It has that same feeling of progression as the old Elder Scrolls games, before Oblivion made enemies level alongside you and you'd get wiped by generic bandits wearing Daedric armor, even though you were supposedly a godly level 50 character.

A lot of people stress out about choosing all of the correct dialogue options to get the neutral ending in that game, but I'd HIGHLY suggest against going for that in your first play through anyway. It is actually a really boring route through the game that forces you to do dozens of boring sidequests (and some great ones, but you can do those in any other route if you want) right at the end of the game, when you really just want to experience the finale without completely breaking the pacing. Also, the sequel takes place right in the middle of the sidequest hell, so you are free to just do whatever route you want and not even finish any route, since SMT4A retcons the endings anyway.
(edited 1 month ago)

GeekyDad
1 month ago#7
sarevokmb posted...
I'd generally try to avoid guides for a first playthough, and just play them through with your own choices. Definitely start with SMT4, but keep in mind that it is actually really tough in the beginning, so don't get discouraged. Save often and don't get frustrated if you die a few times in the first dungeon. The difficulty is actually extremely rewarding, and it is one of those few games that actually makes you feel stronger as you go along, instead of having enemies always keeping pace with you. It has that same feeling of progression as the old Elder Scrolls games, before Oblivion made enemies level alongside you and you'd get wiped by generic bandits wearing Daedric armor, even though you were supposedly a godly level 50 character.

A lot of people stress out about choosing all of the correct dialogue options to get the neutral ending in that game, but I'd HIGHLY suggest against going for that in your first play through anyway. It is actually a really boring route through the game that forces you to do dozens of boring sidequests (and some great ones, but you can do those in any other route if you want) right at the end of the game, when you really just want to experience the finale without completely breaking the pacing. ...
Can I get an Amen!?

User Info: ecylis

ecylis
1 month ago#8
https://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Category:Games

This site has some tips for a bunch of different games. Usually stuff you'd wish you knew before you started playing. Warnings before missable items, advice on character builds, typically tells you whether it's safe to sell equipment, etc.

It's more like an instruction manual than a guide though.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. any advice and walkthrough recs. for the SMT games?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A