• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. What are the chances Nintendo discontinues the eshop on 3DS?

User Info: Skippydaskippy

Skippydaskippy
1 month ago#1
I know there isn’t a definite answer, but I’m considering buying super Mario 3D land since I can’t find it in Canada anywhere brand new. I like buying physical games, so just wondering, has Nintendo stated they’ll always keep the eshop open on 3ds?
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: SeekAndDestroy2

SeekAndDestroy2
1 month ago#2
They most definitely will not always keep the eshop open. Wii shop opened late 2006 and was shut down start of 2019, that's 12 years. 3DS is now 9 years old and aging so I estimate it will close beginning of 2022 (or the end at latest).

So we do have some time to buy everything we want, the question is what the hell will happen when it does? With digital games and DLC in the picture it will be a mess! Imagine not being able to update games and/or your old saves no longer being compatible.

Also it seems like Nintendo has completely abandoned doing sales on the eshop for their own titles months ago, which really sucks and will drive up retail prices. If you can even find copies at all!
Someday I'm hoping to close my eyes and pretend, that this crumpled up paper can be perfect again.

User Info: Skippydaskippy

Skippydaskippy
1 month ago#3
I see. So, if they shut down the eshop, does that mean we can’t play our purchased/downloaded games anymore? Is this what happened with the Wii?

SeekAndDestroy2
1 month ago#4
No for Wii you keep everything, this is what Nintendo said:
It is no longer possible to purchase new content from the Wii Shop. However, for the time being you may continue to re-download content you have purchased or transfer that content from a Wii system to a Wii U system. Be aware that these features will eventually end at a future date.
That means by next year (or two) there will probably be no way to redownload anything at all. So much for digital being future proof!

So eventually 3DS and Wii U online and shops will be shut down together, we will have a grace period to redownload stuff, and then it's gone forever. Nintendo has never been good at supporting their systems once the next one is out.

The reason this extra sucks is because of Nintendo's poor online infrastructure and account system. As of now you can already permanently lose the stuff you bought if you lose your 3DS or it breaks, even if you buy a new one! Everything you buy is tied to the SYSTEM specifically and not your actual account whatsoever.
Someday I'm hoping to close my eyes and pretend, that this crumpled up paper can be perfect again.

User Info: PsychicRutabaga

PsychicRutabaga
1 month ago#5
Nothing lasts forever. That said, I just spent $20 on the 3DS eshop today. I’m looking to enjoy my 3DS and games a little longer, but it’s not like the industry is dying. As long as there is a market there will always be new and interesting games, not to mention reissues, remakes and ports.
Dragon's Dogma
Switch FC: SW-3111-0455-2735, Pawn: Amaryllis, Pawn ID: 0A37-E95C-E4E7

User Info: logans_run_82

logans_run_82
1 month ago#6
Nintendo seriously needs to rework their account system so people can at least find a work around to get the items they paid for.

Not sure how costly it would be to implement it but the fans would surely appreciate it.

Imagine spending hundreds on a digital library you can't use anymore. This is why I like owning games.
~im gonna dip my balls in some thousand island dressin'
Cause I have depression~

User Info: ecylis

ecylis
1 month ago#7
They will have to shut it down eventually, but there's no reason to believe it will happen as soon as it did with the Wii. The only reason they shut down the Wii shop is because the company that hosted Nintendo's servers was bought out.
http://i.imgur.com/UgOcJQG.jpg

User Info: Taaron

Taaron
1 month ago#8
What are the chances Nintendo discontinues the eshop on 3DS?

100%

When it happens, who knows. Imagine it doesn't have many years left as most companies usually don't keep things up for very long after the next thing came out.
The motto of the internet: "Everyone is stupid except me"

SeekAndDestroy2
1 month ago#9
ecylis posted...
They will have to shut it down eventually, but there's no reason to believe it will happen as soon as it did with the Wii. The only reason they shut down the Wii shop is because the company that hosted Nintendo's servers was bought out.
Actually Wii and DS online game servers closed down in early 2014 and didn't affect the eshop at all, Nintendo themselves chose to close the shop.

This is why Nintendo and Sony need to learn from how Microsoft handles their online infrastructure. Xbox 360 launched in 2005 and almost every online game server is still up, every single game/DLC in the store is still up (excluding expired licenses like Marvel), and the system is still 100% functional even online.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: TheRushDawg

TheRushDawg
1 month ago#10
It is a 100% certainty that the 3DS eShop will eventually shut down. The only question is when.

I expect it to be open for at least another 2 years, but that is 100% speculation on my part.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo 3DS
  3. What are the chances Nintendo discontinues the eshop on 3DS?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A